Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #1

Loose component: sensor, dust removal or image stabilisation?

Hi there,

a while ago I replaced the aperture solenoid on my K30, which worked perfectly with the info on this forum

but know I had a new problem; I felt and heard something moving inside the camera when I tilted it. It felt like a serious part, like a battery or focus screen or something, not a small part like a solenoid. Pictures that I make are okay; nothing weird to see on them. But it really doesn't feel good!

When I opened the camera I found the problem; a big flat component can move freely. I wonder if this would be the sensor (it has quite a few flat ribbons attached to it), or the dust removal mechanism (when I press 'dust removal' the part shakes around a lot, but with the 'normal' sound for dust removal.

Here a picture and 2 short video's I made showing the (movement of the) component:

By tilting the camera:

By pressing 'dust removal':

Anyone has seen this problem before? Any ideas whether it could be fixed?

Thanx! Gert Jan

Attached Images

07-09-2019, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

It's the sensor, it is supposed to do that, surprised you didn't notice it earlier. Its free movement is what allows the Pentax shake reduction mechanism to work. Don't worry about it.
07-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Every Pentax has a few loose screws...
07-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #4

Original Poster
Oh serious? No, indeed I never noticed it before, but to be honest, it doesn't feel normal when you have a camera in your hand, you tilt it 90 degrees and you hear and feel something big moving / shaking. As if the shockabsorbers in your cars are worn out or something

07-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It might no longer be mentioned but the following advice used to be included in the user manuals of the older Pentax DSLRs, e.g. the K-5:

Philip
Attached Images

07-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #6
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fietserse Quote
Oh serious? No, indeed I never noticed it before, but to be honest, it doesn't feel normal when you have a camera in your hand, you tilt it 90 degrees and you hear and feel something big moving / shaking. As if the shockabsorbers in your cars are worn out or something
It’s a normal function of the camera. Sensor based SR requires that the sensor can move. Maintaining reasonable battery life means the sensor can only be held in place when absolutely necessary.

Put your camera in live view. If it still rattles then you have a problem.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 07-09-2019 at 03:37 PM.
07-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
It might no longer be mentioned but the following advice used to be included in the user manuals of the older Pentax DSLRs, e.g. the K-5:

Philip
Still in the manual, also of the K-1II.
Attached Images

07-10-2019, 03:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's good, Mark. The reason for my comment in Post #5 is that I can't seem to find that paragraph in my K-70 user manual (EN version).

Philip

07-10-2019, 06:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
That's good, Mark. The reason for my comment in Post #5 is that I can't seem to find that paragraph in my K-70 user manual (EN version).

Philip
That's interesting Philip. I can't find anything in the K-70 manual either. I wonder why they left out that bit of advice in the K-70 manual and included it in others?