Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-14-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DA* 300 f4.0 + K3II connection issue

Starting after lunch today, when I mount the DA* 300 on my K3-II, the AF/MF indicator flashes rapidly back and forth as does the metering mode indicator. It will not autofocus nor let me activate the shutter.

In trying to determine if this is a lens problem or a K3II body problem, I’ve tested several other lenses on the K3-II body and the DA*300 on my K70 body and everything seems to work normally. It’s a weird thing because before lunch I took that combination to dog park and all worked as normal.

Anybody else experienced this?

07-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you already tried cleaning the contacts on the camera and lens? That often helps.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Clean the contacts and tighten the screws both in the camera and the lens
07-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I’ve cleaned the contacts twice. (I have an authentic Pentax Camera Maintenance Kit II I inherited from Dad,) And I’ve checked the mount screws on the lens and the body. None were loose. Neither made a difference.

07-14-2019, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The symptoms you describe indicate that the body is not detecting the "A" pin on the lens. Causes include a wiring fault/board failure in either camera or lens, water intrusion of either camera or lens, dirty contacts, or the lens not registering properly to the mount contacts.

Steve
07-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Resolved

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The symptoms you describe indicate that the body is not detecting the "A" pin on the lens. Causes include a wiring fault/board failure in either camera or lens, water intrusion of either camera or lens, dirty contacts, or the lens not registering properly to the mount contacts.

Steve
That’s it. There are two small metal contacts on the lens and one was bent just slightly askew. All it took was a push with my finger tip and everything seems to be back to normal. I got befuddled when I couldn’t replicate the problem on my other body or with any other lens.

Thanks!
07-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Same thing happened to my 560 also. The pin was bent back. I had to push it inside to keep it working.
I wish Pentax made it durable. I am scared that one day the pin will break. I am.being careful when putting my lens cap and also when mounting the camera