Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does the threaded brass looking part slide back and forth on the shaft ? If it does you are missing a spring between it and the shoulder of the plunger !
I have a feeling we are wanting to tighten this to get it to lock/unlock ? When in reality the threaded brass part may be held captive by the set screw and this is actually a Plunger/spring tension setup.
Possibly this....pull up on knob to adjust lens orientation....let it back down to lock in place ? If so I still go back to a missing spring.....lol
Ive scoured the internet looking fo info to no avail.....that's my best shot at this.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 08-19-2019 at 07:15 PM.
08-20-2019, 02:07 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Does the threaded brass looking part slide back and forth on the shaft ? If it does you are missing a spring between it and the shoulder of the plunger !
I have a feeling we are wanting to tighten this to get it to lock/unlock ? When in reality the threaded brass part may be held captive by the set screw and this is actually a Plunger/spring tension setup.
Possibly this....pull up on knob to adjust lens orientation....let it back down to lock in place ? If so I still go back to a missing spring.....lol
Ive scoured the internet looking fo info to no avail.....that's my best shot at this.
That was my first thought, but the spring is inside the thumbscrew (don't ask me how lucky I was to find the plunger again when I pushed it in and it went 'poing' and flew across the room).

I think the thumbscrew is meant to set the compression of the plunger (in cooperation with the spring) to determine how hard it is to move the collar out of a detent.

At first I thought the thumbscrew could be pulled up, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

-Eric
08-21-2019, 02:16 PM - 4 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You know how having the right tool can be helpful?

It took about two minutes with a 6.0mm * 1.0 die to fix the thumbscrew.

All seems happy and functional now... hooray

- Eric
08-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
You know how having the right tool can be helpful?

It took about two minutes with a 6.0mm * 1.0 die to fix the thumbscrew.

All seems happy and functional now... hooray

- Eric
GOOD ! Very Good ! Now You can go out and shoot a ton of pics to post ! I need help deciding if its this lens ? Or the SMC-K 500mm 4.5 for Christmas !

08-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations TwoUptons. Way to go.
08-22-2019, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
GOOD ! Very Good ! Now You can go out and shoot a ton of pics to post ! I need help deciding if its this lens ? Or the SMC-K 500mm 4.5 for Christmas !
I don't know if this helps, but it's from the first day out (work has interfered with my photography the rest of the week)...

First opinions...
Decently sharp at f5.6 but lots of CA
Very nice at f8, most of the CA is gone (but not all)
1/focal length does not really work on the K1 at low ISO, even with SR, because it shows every little movement when I pixel-peep.
I think that's partially a component of shooting with it like it's a 40mm, not a 400... I need to work on my technique...
At ISO 2000, it's fine, even if I'm a bit ham-fisted because some of the fine detail is covered up...
I really like having the "A" feature set... I have a 300 mm f4 "K" lens, and this is so much easier... and I shoot a lot of manual glass, so I do a lot of green-button work...

-Eric
08-22-2019, 05:29 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It only gets better with practice and technique !
I think the 400mm A is going to perform similar wide open to the K but a little better ….. Hopefully anyway.
Lower contrast and PF are going to be a given with this older Film glassware wide open.