Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2019, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,211
Good Luck Ron, that looks like a nice lens otherwise. A lot of these ideas may work, but the lens vise looks best to me. If you can pull it off you may be able to get some real deals.

Tool makers or experienced machinists may have some other good ways to do something like that, but they usually don't work with something as fragile as a lens. A friend of mine who hand builds guns did a real nice mod on a quick release clamp for me.

08-20-2019, 06:47 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,105
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
$23 + shipping and NO guarantees!

FWIW...no shop will guarantee a filter thread straightening job.


Steve
Kill-Joy !
At least I will be learning something new.

---------- Post added 08-20-19 at 18:52 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Good Luck Ron, that looks like a nice lens otherwise. A lot of these ideas may work, but the lens vise looks best to me. If you can pull it off you may be able to get some real deals.

Tool makers or experienced machinists may have some other good ways to do something like that, but they usually don't work with something as fragile as a lens. A friend of mine who hand builds guns did a real nice mod on a quick release clamp for me.
I build Guns too ! And have access to a machine shop to Boot ! The Rokkor IS a really nice lens.....Going to try and bring her back to life......only cost me $5 for a whole camera bag of 6 lenses and a couple nice Minolta Bodies at an Auction , so Im not out much.
08-20-2019, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Medellín
Posts: 743
I also have the lens vise, and it's a joy to use. Just make sure the threads on the vise are properly aligned with the filter threads before you put pressure on it.

08-20-2019, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 184
As suggested above. Use wood and a small hammer. But use soft pine dowel. something soft (eg rubber mat) under the lens body when you hit the dowel. The soft wood won't damage the thread. I have done this successfully as recommended elsewhere (can't remember which site). Dented lens was a Adaptall 300mm F2.8 shipped from NY and damaged in transport. Repair was successful and 112mm filter could be used.

08-20-2019, 10:53 PM - 2 Likes   #20
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,880
After working on it, first try a filter ring w/o glass. Even if you force it one (and leave it on) you likely can use it to later add a filter or hood.
08-21-2019, 11:54 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,105
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
I also have the lens vise, and it's a joy to use. Just make sure the threads on the vise are properly aligned with the filter threads before you put pressure on it.
I went an alternative route and used a Milling machine......Mounted the Mill Head in a Vise and used the 3 Chucks to carefully push it out. Got it 97% or better and a filter now goes on with some moderate tightness. A hood goes on easily. Shall I call it cured ?
Will post pics later , but it looks very acceptable and is almost unnoticeable.
Im still looking forward to my Lens Vise as I just won another Auction last night on a dented lens...It went for CHEAP !......lol

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 08-21-2019 at 12:16 PM.
08-21-2019, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MossyRocks's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 884
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Mounted the Mill Head in a Vise and used the 3 Chucks to carefully push it out.
nice
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Got it 97% or better and a filter now goes on with some moderate tightness. A hood goes on easily. Shall I call it cured ?
I would
08-21-2019, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,211
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I went an alternative route and used a Milling machine......Mounted the Mill Head in a Vise and used the 3 Chucks to carefully push it out. Got it 97% or better and a filter now goes on with some moderate tightness. A hood goes on easily. Shall I call it cured ?
Will post pics later , but it looks very acceptable and is almost unnoticeable.
Im still looking forward to my Lens Vise as I just won another Auction last night on a dented lens...It went for CHEAP !......lol
Awesome, 3 points are better than 2. Cured!

08-22-2019, 06:46 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,105
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Awesome, 3 points are better than 2. Cured!
That's what I was thinking. It wasn't perfect and I went slowly.
I will post an image of the milling machine head when I get back from the Shop this morning. Many may not have a clue what it even looks like.
Here is the finished Lens. Just a tiny bump left that isn't at all noticeable.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 08-22-2019 at 09:45 AM.
08-22-2019, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 14,891
glad you had the equipment and expertise to use it
08-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,105
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
glad you had the equipment and expertise to use it
I don't have the expertise…...but a bunch of the Old Retired Guys in the Metal/Machine shop have about 1000 Years combined experience !
08-24-2019, 05:03 AM   #27
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2
Camera Repairing Shops can fix that as well.
08-24-2019, 12:30 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockaway Beach NYC
Posts: 5,972
My method using disposable, free tools mostly

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Lay the dented part of the lens rim on "blue tack" or plasticene, press it in.
Make a small hardwood tamp shaped correctly to the circumference profile.
Use a small hammer and the tamp, gently tap the dent out.
Paint stores here give away thin flat wooden paint stirrers for free with purchase.
I split one to an appropriate width and trim the end to match the radius.

The length gives good leverage and a safe working distance
The soft wood will not further damage the filter threads.

An "anvil" made of scrap soft building lumber (e.g 2x3) works well as a base.
Notching it to match the curve of the lens barrel will prevent slippage.

A few small blows with a small hammer are all that are necessary.
Once it is appears to be straightened check by screwing on a filter.
Repeat as necessary. Once filter goes on and off easily STOP.

If paint is badly chipped I use a black paint marker to touch it up.
A black Sharpie is often adequate for a small repair.

Your good results will make a little bit of extra prep time worthwhile...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-24-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
front, front rings, guns, lens, lenses, pentax service, repair, rings on lenses, service, shop, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Straighten those fishy pictures - Aperture hiepelines Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 01-01-2015 01:27 PM
How to straighten a bent metal Asahi Pentax lens cap? kcobain1992 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 10-02-2011 01:44 AM
Nature Straighten that Back Soldier daacon Post Your Photos! 18 08-19-2011 04:58 AM
do you always straighten your photos in PP? aleonx3 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 12 03-19-2010 04:55 PM
For Sale - Sold: Working 50mm f/2.0 Pentax-A SMC lenses with dented filter rings - 3 available wallyb Sold Items 4 05-09-2009 01:54 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top