Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How to straighten dented front rings on lenses ?

Ive never really explored this , but occasionally I see a pretty nice lens with a nice dent in the front ring.....like this (see image) and would like to know if there is any way to salvage them ?
I was told that there is a pair of pliers that has various jaws for doing exactly that by expanding the filter ring ?
Nice lenses but no way to easily attach a hood or filter.....Is there a solution ?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
08-20-2019, 10:53 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I was told that there is a pair of pliers that has various jaws for doing exactly that by expanding the filter ring ?Nice lenses but no way to easily attach a hood or filter.....Is there a solution ?
Yes, it's sad that these nice old lenses have encountered a hard object.

The proper tool is a lens filter ring vise, such as this: Lens Filter Ring Vise | Micro-Tools

Here is a good description of how to repair: https://richardhaw.com/2017/09/09/repair-fixing-a-dented-ring/
08-20-2019, 11:04 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lay the dented part of the lens rim on "blue tack" or plasticene, press it in. Make a small hardwood tamp shaped correctly to the circumference profile. Use a small hammer and the tamp, gently tap the dent out.
Note that it won't be absolutely perfect, the impact causing the dent will have slightly stretched the metal. Original thread here (but pics are missing).
08-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Yes, it's sad that these nice old lenses have encountered a hard object.

The proper tool is a lens filter ring vise, such as this: Lens Filter Ring Vise | Micro-Tools

Here is a good description of how to repair: Repair: Dented Rings (Using a Lens Vise) | Richard Haw's Classic Nikon Repair and Review
Thank You ! Looks like there is hope after all !

08-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a 6x7 45mm with a squashed filter the thread (not dented). When I bought it, it had a UV filter shoe-horned on (I only noticed it when I'd removed it). It's just non-circular enough to make installing a filter impossible.

If there's any push on adapter that would fit for a Lee holder, any suggestions would be welcomed.
08-20-2019, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could probably make a dolly set with a 2x4 and bandsaw. Just trace the outer good contour, cut the arc with a bandsaw and then use the 2 pieces like a die set and gently pound out the dent.
08-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
You could probably make a dolly set with a 2x4 and bandsaw. Just trace the outer good contour, cut the arc with a bandsaw and then use the 2 pieces like a die set and gently pound out the dent.
That’s the old school method. You risk smashing the threads that way.

08-20-2019, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thank You ! Looks like there is hope after all !
Must competent camera repair shops should be able to do a fix as well.

Steve
08-20-2019, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you might want to look at this video using a " lens vise "

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-20-2019 at 12:35 PM.
08-20-2019, 12:35 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Everyone should remember - a dented thread can also mean that elements have been pushed/moved out of alignment. Serious, front lens dents often mean that a great deal of force has been exerted on a lens.
08-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Must competent camera repair shops should be able to do a fix as well.

Steve
"Competent" is getting hard to find these days. My local shop wanted $25 and NO guarantees. My Lens Vise is now incoming from Amazon !
08-20-2019, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

"Competent" is getting hard to find these days. My local shop wanted $25 and NO guarantees. My Lens Vise is now incoming from Amazon !
at my local brick and mortar store Wolfe's Camera

Wolfe's Camera Shop | Topeka KS

the experienced sales man fooled with the tool and fixed my similar problem with my DA 16-85mm

[ broken thread, small portion missing and remaining thread misaligned. after using tool, I can mount a filter on the lens ]

for free

that's customer service

[ I don't buy a lot of gear from them but I do get 24 x 35 in stretched canvas prints for the wife's office so I am considered a good customer ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-21-2019 at 06:16 AM.
08-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you might want to look at this video using a " lens vise "

How to Repair a Damaged Lens Filter Thread using a Repair Tool - YouTube
Thanks...Im glad you posted this as I never would have thought of twisting it. Friday I have one incoming for $23
08-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

$23 + shipping and NO guarantees!

FWIW...no shop will guarantee a filter thread straightening job.

Steve
08-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You risk smashing the threads that way.
A soft pine 2x4 wouldn't unless you beating on it with way to much force. I'm was thinking using something like a 4 or 6 oz. dealblow hammer, tack hammer, or jeweler's hammer and gradually rerounding things. Not the one shot power swing with a 4lb drilling hammer and call it a day.