Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-70 screen died

My 2 yr old K-70 just died. Screen first had lines for a few minutes, then turned to solid black. AF not working. LV not working, of course. Display pics not working. Video not working.

Have a 3 year policy on it so they are sending it to Ontario to whomever. In the meantime as my policy covers a loaner, they gave me a Nikon D7000 with the 18-140mm VR lens. Hopefully it will work OK.

Last edited by jgnfld; 08-26-2019 at 12:43 PM.
08-26-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
as my policy covers a loaner, they gave me a Nikon D7000 with the 18-140mm VR lens
Maybe you will be "converted " !

I always believed loaners were about future sales. When my 5 year old Land Rover goes in for repair or service I always enjoy getting the latest model with all the gadgets to play with for a day.
08-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #3

I went back and forth between Pentax and Nikon for so long! Weather resistant body and (some lenses) or readily available glass? Ability to have autofocus or the fun of vintage primes? Drove Mrs. Rookie absolutely nuts with it. Don't get me wrong, I've made my choice and I'm very happy with it. But I still enjoy peeking over the fence and seeing what color that grass really is.

And to your point, Pschlute, it's about both sales and customer service. No doubt Jng will make the Nikon work and work well. And he's as happy as they can get him. Is it a sale? Maybe. But if he's happy enough with him, he'll probably be back. He's both a satisfied customer AND a lead. Like you and your Land Rover. You going to buy a brand new Rover? I don't know, maybe. But as long as they're throwing brand new ones at you as loaners, you'll keep going back to get your car worked on there (to the minds of them who thinks this stuff up).

OP, keep us posted please. I have a 2.5 year old k70 myself.
08-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
My 2 yr old K-70 just died. Screen first had lines for a few minutes, then turned to solid black. AF not working. LV not working, of course. Display pics not working. Video not working.

Have a 3 year policy on it so they are sending it to Ontario to whomever. In the meantime as my policy covers a loaner, they gave me a Nikon D7000 with the 18-140mm VR lens. Hopefully it will work OK.
Sorry to hear that. Sadly, nothing is 100% reliable, and it's wise to protect our investments where possible, as you've done with your policy. It's kind of odd they've loaned you a 2010 / 2011 model from a different brand, though That's an odd loaner in the circumstances... still, I'm sure it'll do just fine at lower ISO settings. Nikon gear is generally excellent, so I've no doubt you'll get on well enough with it.

Good luck with your K-70

08-27-2019, 04:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sorry to hear that. Sadly, nothing is 100% reliable, and it's wise to protect our investments where possible, as you've done with your policy. It's kind of odd they've loaned you a 2010 / 2011 model from a different brand, though That's an odd loaner in the circumstances... still, I'm sure it'll do just fine at lower ISO settings. Nikon gear is generally excellent, so I've no doubt you'll get on well enough with it.

Good luck with your K-70
They carry some Pentax lenses and lots of accessories, but no bodies. My choice was Canon or Nikon.
09-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With regard your post in another thread: How did they determine you could have caused that fault? That seems highly suspicious to me and I think you should take it up with your local consumer protection agency.
09-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
With regard your post in another thread: How did they determine you could have caused that fault?
My question too. There are a few possibilities, but exclusion of that sort should require some supporting details and evidence. If physical damage, photographs would be nice. Ditto if evidence of water incursion was found.

Steve