Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax ESII repair?

Just picked up a VERY NICE Pentax ESII, but meter is getting no power. Not even showing up with the battery check button. I fixed a mirror lock issue, removed the circuit board for that repair, but I was very careful and it went back together fine. Any repair places recommended for this camera? Thanks!

09-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Check this link for service facilities depending on your location. If in the US, Eric Hendrickson is regarded as arguably the best out there on vintage cameras.

Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com

Thanks,
09-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #3

Try Advance Camera or Garry's off the above linked list.
09-16-2019, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Try Advance Camera or Garry's off the above linked list.
Thanks for your info, but I just fixed my issue by polishing all of the contacts on the circuit board! Camera and meter work fine now!!

09-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I spoke too soon. The shutter speeds are a bit erratic when matched with what is indicated in the viewfinder. The slower speeds seem off. Also......When I got the camera, the mirror was locked up. I fixed that issue, but the fabric strip at the rear of the mirror wants to cover the back edge of the mirror, blacking out a full view on the bottom. Any hints on how to make this fabric lay down again? I am thinking of applying some Purrell or something to make it want to lay down again. Any hints on this issue? Thanks
09-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #6

If the fabric was glued on in the first place probably some contact adhesive like Pliobond or a rubber cement would probably do the trick.
09-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimboWalker Quote
I spoke too soon. The shutter speeds are a bit erratic when matched with what is indicated in the viewfinder. The slower speeds seem off.
If you’re handy with electronics of the simple kind in the ESII and you can locate a circuit diagram, you could try using a multi-meter to check the continuity of the circuits. An intermittent fault such as you describe sounds like a dry solder joint or possibly a failing component. There were some repair manuals around on the Internet, as I recall, and I’m fairly certain there was an ESII one (I have an ESII, myself).

09-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If the fabric was glued on in the first place probably some contact adhesive like Pliobond or a rubber cement would probably do the trick.
The fabric is attached where it should be, but is "moulded" in the up position and need to be relaxed down to meet the mirror's back edge and stay there after a shot is taken. I will look at my Spotmatic F and see what happens when an exposure is made. I just need it to get out of it's bent up condition and stay there.