Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-3 II Viewfinder replacement

Hi,
so i finally managed to make a dent on a pentax camera. I came home after a hike and droped my cam on my bed but the camera wasn't tired yet i guess so it fell out and the glas on the viewfinder cracked. Well i'm not using the WR at all but its still bugging me since the camera has traveled alot in its former life and i manage to break it at home

Anyways I would appreciate if someone could tell me how the inside of the viewfinder looks like. My idea is to find a piece of glas that would fit where the old one was but i don't know if i can access that and i don't want to open the cam without any clue.

A pal of mine did some work on my K-50 last week and there the glas is just glued in place but the K-3 II does have a real frame that holds the glas from two sides. If I could just open this up and slide a new glas in + some glue i would give it a shot.

Also if someone could tell me iff and where i could find a replacement that would be fine to! Otherwise i thought that maybe i could cut a microscope slide down to make it fit. dunno

Should have used the eyepiece but the last one didn't last long so i skipped it :/

09-28-2019, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #2

Another forum member mentioned there is a camera shop in Germany that will sell you parts for Pentax cameras. The member did not mention the name. I believe it is the authorized service center Rüdiger Maerz GmbH. If not uscamera.com in the US either has the part or can order it for you. They ship overseas. Finally, you can try the forums on pentaxians.de
09-29-2019, 01:16 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Do they sell just the glas, because if i swap the whole viewfinder housing thing it might get to expensive to justyfy it. But it would be cool if someone could give me some insight of the inside so i know what i'm dealing with. Pentaxians is also a good advice but i thought that the broader userbase here would yield more expertise about this rather special part. (most people tend to not break that and few of the ones who do have the same camera and a DIY mindset)
09-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #4

You should be able to buy just the glass. There have been several threads on breakage of this glass on various models however I don't recall the outcomes. I'm under the impression that a DIY replacement is not very difficult. Keep in mind once you remove the top cover the weather sealing is considered compromised.

Search comes up with too many hits on messages to go through quickly.

09-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is pretty simple, attached a snapshot out of the Service-Manual of the Samsung GX20 (Pentax K20D).

If you take some pliers and carefully remove all the damaged glass, you can use it like normal but WR is gone.
An option would be to use the 0-ME53, then you have better protection

Last edited by photogem; 04-16-2020 at 12:07 AM.