Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #1

K3 lcd screen non functional

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to read this!

So I have had my Pentax k-3 for about five years now, I've taken on so many trips with me, and I'm at roughly 9,000 shutter clicks.

In 2015 I ended up getting water inside of my k3 and it bugged it out really bad in my viewfinder and lens was all fogged up. I sat in the sun for a day and everything was completely 100% fine and back to functioning!

But my problem now is that I took my camera to Iceland, it's very rainy there, and my camera strap had opened up the microphone Port without me knowing some rain got inside.

The lens started fogging up, so I went and tried the old routine and just left it sitting to dry out, and it worked, the camera was back to functioning and the lens was all clear of moisture, however there was one side effect. My LCD screen will not turn on or function in any mode!

I tried contacting precision camera about a repair, but they want $350 you're too, because I can take pictures fine, I finished our trip just shooting blindly and the photos turned out great! I just wasn't able to review them because the LCD screen went out.

if there are any suggestions or recommendations on what to try to get my LCD screen working again please please let me know! I really don't want to have to send my camera and then paid $350 for the stupid screen. Even if somebody has a guide to repair it myself that would be way better! Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you!

10-01-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time for a new camera I suspect....
10-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Given the twofold water ingress, having it serviced may be a wise idea, as there could be other damage beyond just the screen. With such a low shutter count, your camera should be able to last quite a while longer.

That said, there are plenty of other repair shops listed in the sticky in this forum, if you'd rather push for a repair quote for just the screen.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-01-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would still give it some time to dry completely. Put is in a sealed box with desiccant packages. It may work so why not give it a try

10-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

How long since it stops working?
You can... maybe wait a few weeks or months? It might come back to work.
I dropped my K5 rear LCD first on a relatively pointy rock. The LCD stop working and I can see big cracks on the Sensor. The camera still take a photo but I see the cracks everywhere on the photo. a few weeks later after I get a K3, and I want to use the battery from the broken K5. I turn it back on just to see, and to my surprise "the LCD came back to life" with purple color on the impact point, and I test it again sometime early this year (after many years in a box), i don't see purple color on the LCD anymore! It just like nothing happens except cracks on the sensor.

Another thing is, maybe submerge the body in a container full of rice is better than put it under direct sunlight to dry it up. I had a similar experience when I unknowingly loosed the shutter release socket's cover ( the tinny one below the pop-up flash) in heavy rain and I can see top LCD fogging up including the sensor because I can see fog alike on my photo. I immediately remove the battery. Back home; Semi-dry it with tower and submerge it in a rice container for 2 days (close all the open sockets) and it works just fine until now. If I shoot in rain, I cover every socket with plastic tap now. That includes screw sockets on the side and bottom parts too.
10-01-2019, 10:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sad to hear what happened to your camera, may be the patience pays off that some folks recommended.
10-02-2019, 03:02 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear.
I don't if you have a similar space but our hot water cylinder cupboard is a perfect place to dry out wet camera gear. It can take some time for a camera to try out properly though - but I'm assuming you have already had it drying a long time?