Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 07:41 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, Pentax is like Ryanair - if it all goes fine then you're OK but if there's any problem then you're on your own.

Pentax should have issued a recall or service note that all the affected models should have the faulty component replaced for free, regardless of warranty period.

10-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
My K-30 is still going strong after many years. My daughter uses it now, and still works as good as new. Probably < 10,000 actuations on it though.
Sorry if it was mentioned before, but did you file the original solenoid plunger or replace that assembly with a white version?
10-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I helped out my brother-in-law by setting up a repair at Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair . They guarantee their repair forever, you have to send the camera back and forth. Being in Canada, that's more complicated for us, sadly.
That's good to know. There was one forum member how had their camera repaired by PC35 and failed again after more than a year. I'll see if I can find the post and inform the member of the lifetime warranty.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Unfortunately, Pentax is like Ryanair - if it all goes fine then you're OK but if there's any problem then you're on your own.

Pentax should have issued a recall or service note that all the affected models should have the faulty component replaced for free, regardless of warranty period.
Ricoh seems to have left this problem up to the regional offices. In the US each failure is handled on a case by case basis with an inspection of the camera before a decision if the repair will be covered - to date with all cases reported on PF Ricoh covered the repair. In Australia Ricoh acknowledges the problem and covers the repair. UK and EU seems unwilling to cover the repair. The rest of the regions Ricoh's response is unknown as there have been no reports.

Take the matter up with your regional Ricoh office. These forums are not a direct conduit to Ricoh.
10-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
So PC35 is offering a lifetime warranty now (web page says one year)? And you've had no repeat failures on his fixes, correct?

Thanks, this is all valuable information.
I was told over the phone that the fix was a lifetime guarantee. I noticed in his web page that it says "One Year." So..... it looks like one year would be correct. Sorry if I mislead anyone. And no, I have had NO repeat failures. I might add, he's a very easy man to deal with, as is his wife. Nice people and the turnaround time has been less than three weeks for all three cameras. I have no dog in this fight other than to hopefully pass on some valuable information to those of us who dearly love our K-30's and K-50's and are willing to spend a hundred bucks to have it repaired. I do not personally know the guy who owns the repair company. I've only dealt with him over the phone and via email.

10-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Maybe lifetime meant the lifetime of the solenoid... which is probably one year. Lol..

10-03-2019, 09:30 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
Sorry if it was mentioned before, but did you file the original solenoid plunger or replace that assembly with a white version?

I think you quoted the wrong person. My K-30 has the original, unmodified aperture block.
10-04-2019, 06:48 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I think you quoted the wrong person. My K-30 has the original, unmodified aperture block.
My mistake, but congrats on have the original aperture block last 10K+. That's great!
10-04-2019, 07:04 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Someone said it earlier in the discussion, but it probably also helps to keep using the cameras regularly. That being said, the whole aperture block failure simply should not have happened in the first place and it definitely should not have been allowed to continue in more recent bodies.

10-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I used to have 2 K-30's, one suffered, one didn't. Sold the other and got myself a K-5iis.
10-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

Exactly! It would have earned Ricoh a lot more faithful followers than the position they took. Be that as it may, I'm glad I got my Lipstick Red K-50 back and it's now ready for several thousand more images. Matter of fact, it arrived back today.... a two week turnaround time.