Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
We had that discussion previously and post#15 was your response to it:
Thanks for clarifying that the photos were on following pages. I remember that thread and Tonyzocs sad story including the complication of other-than-solenoid issues making nasty noises and the failed repair effort with the butane torch. I did not remember the photos or my part of the discussion regarding the filing. Thanks for indulging my forgetfulness. I will remember that PC Photo Lab did this in the future.

I am tempted to message ChristianRock to find out what finally happened with the camera and whether they were able to resolve the mirror control issue.

Steve

09-25-2020, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am tempted to message ChristianRock to find out what finally happened with the camera and whether they were able to resolve the mirror control issue.

Steve

When I received the camera, I could use it in the A position and live view, and it would stop down the lenses (but the mirror would slap 2-3 times in the process). It would not stop down lenses with aperture rings, however. I could also select the aperture for video.
The mirror just stays in random positions so the viewfinder never works. The mirror assembly must be somewhat broken.

Then I opened it up just to look at it, to see if there was any soldering that I could redo, or any lose wire, etc. After looking at it and verifying that everything looked correctly in place and the soldering looked very solid, I put it back together.

But now it won't even stop down lenses at all - aperture ring or A position.

I keep thinking I might get it fixed but at this point it's probably going to need everything inside, they'll probably change the board and mirror assembly and God knows what else, probably the whole thing, and probably cost at least the 300 dollars that I think it's worth. So I might just give it away for parts... it's got the white solenoid in it so it's probably going to be useful for somebody.
09-25-2020, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

When I received the camera, I could use it in the A position and live view, and it would stop down the lenses (but the mirror would slap 2-3 times in the process). It would not stop down lenses with aperture rings, however. I could also select the aperture for video.
The mirror just stays in random positions so the viewfinder never works. The mirror assembly must be somewhat broken.

Then I opened it up just to look at it, to see if there was any soldering that I could redo, or any lose wire, etc. After looking at it and verifying that everything looked correctly in place and the soldering looked very solid, I put it back together.

But now it won't even stop down lenses at all - aperture ring or A position.

I keep thinking I might get it fixed but at this point it's probably going to need everything inside, they'll probably change the board and mirror assembly and God knows what else, probably the whole thing, and probably cost at least the 300 dollars that I think it's worth. So I might just give it away for parts... it's got the white solenoid in it so it's probably going to be useful for somebody.
Allthough soldering looks very solid it was done with a butan-soldering-iron which just is a warranty for heat-damage.
Behind the plastic-cover of the solenoid is this mechanism:

You can see the complexity of all parts here as well:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/85274-photogem/albums/13069-gear...ure130865.html
This is why I indicate in all turorials:
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Tools required:
- Soldering iron with precision soldering-tip (pencil-tip, such as Ersa Multi-Pro 20W)
but no butan-gas soldering-pen! Too hot, it will do damage!
Even an USB-Soldering-Needle would to the job well.