Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #1

Pentax S1a light seals

Hi All,

I am about to replace the light seals on my S1a and want to check where they are and the material to use, please.

I have found, two narrow foam seals in the top and bottom rear door channels, a felt seal by the door hinge, a felt seal by the door lock and one small thicker foam buffer pad hidden away on one side at the top of the mirror box. Have I missed any?

Does anyone know the foam type and thickness I should be using? I'm guessing 1.5mm closed cell for the channel seals and maybe 3mm for the buffer pad but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance

Nick

10-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

That's about it. I recently used foamie for sealing another camera but it turned out to be too thick. It was very hard to close and it was putting excessive pressure to the latch. I ended up using strips of black felt with very little to no adhesive as the pressure keeps it in place.

Thanks,
Ismael
10-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
are you using JIS screw drivers

it might be wise to look at this thread

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com
10-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

That's about it. I recently used foamie for sealing another camera but it turned out to be too thick. It was very hard to close and it was putting excessive pressure to the latch. I ended up using strips of black felt with very little to no adhesive as the pressure keeps it in place.

Thanks,
Ismael
Ok thanks, I want to replace like with like. I'm just not sure if I should use 1mm or 1.5mm foam for the back. I won't replace the felt seals unless I need to but I do have velvet I use for Large Format film holders, which is about the same

---------- Post added 10-20-19 at 09:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
are you using JIS screw drivers

it might be wise to look at this thread

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com
Yes, I have a set of JIS but I shouldn't need to dismantle anything as far as I can see, have I missed something?

10-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Rowland Quote
Yes, I have a set of JIS but I shouldn't need to dismantle anything as far as I can see, have I missed something?
Not for the light seals as far as I know.
10-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Yes, I have a set of JIS but I shouldn't need to dismantle anything as far as I can see, have I missed something?
I don't know

I know my limitations and working on lenses is beyond me

good luck
10-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I don't know

I know my limitations and working on lenses is beyond me

good luck
Why would you need to dismantle a lens to replace the light seals on the film door?

10-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure, but I thought the S series was before they started using foam seals. I have cameras that don't need seals due to the way they were designed. As mentioned, I'm not sure.
10-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the OP was talking about working on the camera my post was more general in nature about what might next be done than what the OP is doing right now
10-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may take a look at this light seals kit. There is also pre-cut variant of light seal foam. I've used a set from this manufacturer, and everything worked well.
10-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I'm not sure, but I thought the S series was before they started using foam seals. I have cameras that don't need seals due to the way they were designed. As mentioned, I'm not sure.
There is hardened foam for sure in the door grooves and the mirror damper is definitely foam.

---------- Post added 10-20-19 at 10:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
You may take a look at this light seals kit. There is also pre-cut variant of light seal foam. I've used a set from this manufacturer, and everything worked well.
Ooh thanks, I do have the foam sheets but find cutting it a challenge, so that pre-cut stuff is right up my street :-)
10-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You should not have to dismantle and even if you did, the S1a does not have cross-head screws. That came later.

As for seals, Jon Goodman has the best kits. The question might be whether he has one for the S1a.

Steve
10-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The S-series was essentially modern in construction with almost all models released in the early 1960s and some continuing into the late 1960s (1968 for the SV and S1a). They do employ light seals for the film door grooves and hinge plate. You bring up a good point though in regards to replacement. It is important to check whether there are existing seals and whether they are bad.* For example, the hinge seal is cloth and usually does not require replacement. The door grooves may have been done with doped twine at some point, in which case they are practically immortal.

Steve

(...my SV was CLA'd by Eric and he used doped twine...)

* By way of comparison, my late 1950s vintage Canon P does NOT use seal material in the film door light traps.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-20-2019 at 02:05 PM.
10-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As for seals, Jon Goodman has the best kits. The question might be whether he has one for the S1a.
Steve
I did look for him but he seems to have disappeared around 2017, nothing on the web and his Ebay shop has nothing for sale.

I can probably make some, in theory they are just simple strips but I never get the thin ones quite right.

I'm still trying to double check the foam height and width dimensions but just can't find it mentioned anywhere.
10-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I did look for him but he seems to have disappeared around 2017, nothing on the web and his Ebay shop has nothing for sale.
Jon quit his interslice eBay store several years ago and deals exclusively through email now. His address is jgood21967@aol.com. My understanding is that he has a representative in Britain who handles sales of kits and seal materials there and for the EU. He is also a PF member and may be contacted by private message here as well.

Jon Goodman - View Profile - PentaxForums.com ( @Jon_Goodman )

Steve