Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Precision repair

How long does it take to get an email response on a quote for service from them so I can print it and ship the item?

10-22-2019, 04:19 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience with them isn't current, but it was filled with bad communication and frustration. I had to hound then to get any status. However they may have improved - hopefully someone with more recent experience can comment.
10-22-2019, 06:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My recent experience with them has been more like, I find my camera on their site, they give a quote at a fixed rate, then I pay that, then the send me the shipping instructions. It's all fairly automatic.

I've had my camera returned in a bit more than a week on my K-1 this summer.
10-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had three lenses (one under warranty) and one camera fixed by them. I did not have any issues, but I also called them, which sometimes took a bit of sitting on hold. I'm honestly not comfortable with email for something like this, so I'd recommend getting a human on the line, and try non peak hours to call e.g. not at lunch when "everyone" gets a break at work - try around 3PM and see if you don't get through. As far as turn around, my QS-1 was repaired and sent out the same day it was recieved. The lenses were more complex and required a trip back to Japan, so they went in to the 4-6 week+ time frame.

10-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I also did the K-1 to K-1 II upgrade. That went well and was coordinated through voice and email. I was one of the last batches after a long wait for parts. I held on to my camera until I got the word to send it, and turn around was fast - within a couple days.
10-22-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

The Cameraville guy in his video about Precision Camera repair said the best way to contact them is to call the 860 number and press 1 (one) as I recall. This takes you to a live person who was very helpful and always had access to the up-to-date status of his repair.

Skip to 5:17 to the part about the telephone
10-22-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have always had excellent service from Precision. I usually would send my piece of equipment in with a letter stating the problem via a common carrier (Fedex for example), including copy of sales receipt, warranty if applicable, return address, email, and phone number, and after they received it, they would list the status on the internet which would be corresponding with the phone number I submitted. Of course, getting just a quote without sending the equipment may be a different process, but if a general quote is needed, emailing or phoning may be the best option.

10-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the one experience I had with them was a year ago and it was a repair of a HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW which had no warranty

it eventually went to Japan

I join the recommendation of trying to get through on the phone

be prepared for a wait on hold

but when I got through, they were very pleasant and helpful
10-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, I finally got an email from them.

We'll see how it goes.
10-23-2019, 05:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
My recent experience with them has been more like, I find my camera on their site, they give a quote at a fixed rate, then I pay that, then the send me the shipping instructions. It's all fairly automatic.

I've had my camera returned in a bit more than a week on my K-1 this summer.
I've had a similar experience in April 2017.
11-02-2019, 11:23 PM   #11

took forever to get my camera body back from precision not happy with their service or communication on my K-3
11-04-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Online, you can select a product and they charge you an arbitrary amount. Is this just a hold amount and will they give you an updated quote price?
11-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
Online, you can select a product and they charge you an arbitrary amount. Is this just a hold amount and will they give you an updated quote price?
give them a call and ask

you may have to wait to get hold of a person

but when I did they were very nice and helpful
11-04-2019, 12:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks, I was hoping someone would know. I've spoken to Precision a couple times and they have been very helpful. I just called them now and you can actually put zeros in the credit card number box. They will charge $35 for diagnostic and quote, if you proceed with repair, the $35 is waived. Hope this helps anyone else.
11-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Thanks for the responses, I finally got an email from them.

We'll see how it goes.
Do you have it back yet? Hope so.