Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #1

Good JIS screwdriver set for SMC (analogue era) lens repairs?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

I bought a screwdriver from amazon, it seemed good quality, it wasn't especially cheap, the heads were a good fit but it damaged the screwheads (it was rubbish test lens anyway, for this purpose). So I'm now looking for a good quality set of screwdrivers, I read somewhere JIS. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations. All the JIS screwdrivers I see on amazon are too big.

Cheers,

Last edited by amci; 11-16-2019 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Post was incomplete.
11-16-2019, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
VESSEL precision screwdriver 6pcs TD-56S -- Can't recommend these guys enough!

eBay Link
11-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #3

I use this set from Amazon, I haven't found any screws too small for it yet. TD-56 Precision Screwdriver Set: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
11-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yuh - I got that from Amazon - a year or so back happy so far, though I haven't used them that much - the link is Amazon UK.

TD-56 Precision Screwdriver Set: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

11-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah - I see Nick Rowland gave the same link as I was finding it - confirmation, though
11-16-2019, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
Be sure to order the TD56S instead of the TD56.

The S model have 000 and 0000 cross drivers, which come really handy for camera and lenses.
11-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amci Quote
I read somewhere JIS. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations. All the JIS screwdrivers I see on amazon are too big.
All cross-head screws on Asahi and Pentax product are JIS standard* and they range from very small to not so small. I don't have experience with the set linked above, but am a strong fan of Moody Pollicis drivers. These are available in both long and short shank and are notable in being static discharge safe and bearing a lifetime warranty. A 4-driver long shank set (JIS #000, #00, #0, #1) is available from iFixit for less than $20 USD. Similar short shank sets are available from Amazon, Micro-tools and other vendors for about $30 USD.
iFixit | JIS Driver Set

Amazon | Moody Tools JIS Pollicis 4-piece

Steve

(...no relationship to Moody, iFixit, Amazon, or Micro-tools except as a satisfied customer...)

* While JIS is visually similar to Phillips head, both ramp and depth of the slots is different. Use of a Phillips driver on a JIS screw will likely result in the screw head being stripped and much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-16-2019 at 11:15 AM.
11-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please see this thread for a number of options:

Could anyone recommend a good set of JIS screwdrivers and spanner? - PentaxForums.com

Personally, I use JIS drivers from Moody Tools, as well as the 64-bit set from IFixIt, which is mentioned in the linked thread.

- Craig
11-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the heads were a good fit but it damaged the screwheads
Just a caution that the screws on the mounts of manual Pentax lenses (especially Pentax-M it seems) can be difficult to remove because they've been locked with thread-locker. I've managed to strip out several heads by applying too much torque.

If I can't easily loosen a screw, I find that carefully heating the screw heads with a soldering iron or micro-flame torch (the burner torch, not the 'flashlight') is effective.

- Craig
11-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

I bought a screwdriver from amazon, it seemed good quality, it wasn't especially cheap, the heads were a good fit but it damaged the screwheads (it was rubbish test lens anyway, for this purpose). So I'm now looking for a good quality set of screwdrivers, I read somewhere JIS. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations. All the JIS screwdrivers I see on amazon are too big.

Cheers,
I'm late to the party but this thread explains why you are being wise -

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com
11-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

good references......be good to find this when I decide to get a good set
thanks
11-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #12

Original Poster
This is great! Thanks very much everyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote

If I can't easily loosen a screw, I find that carefully heating the screw heads with a soldering iron or micro-flame torch (the burner torch, not the 'flashlight') is effective.
Very good to know, cheers! I will watch out for this.
I stripped not only the screw head but also chewed up the screwdriver trying to open, not the lens mount, but the aperture mount. It was an old junk lens, one of many duplicates, and was curious about the goings on, it is my practice lens for now.

Moody tools and TD56S are both available on Amazon UK so will order up a set tonight.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I'm late to the party but this thread explains why you are being wise -

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com
That's interesting! It's a wonder I got so far into the lens before it became a problem. I wonder what the benefits are of each type of head.
11-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote here for the Vessel kit. I got it from eBay. The only downside is that it took weeks to arrive from Japan to the US.
11-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're UK:

micro tools europe

Search: JIS
11-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I've used a Moody set I got from Amazon for 7+ years now. Good set.