Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2019, 10:39 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With Pentax, its very straightforward. Pentax's volumes are much lower. Most lenses are manufactured with "just in time" production methods. This means that parts have to be ordered from various vendors way ahead. So, if there is a lens that comes in for repairs and needs parts, they need to order those parts from the respective vendors. They cant just gram one from the lens production stock - since that means that they will be one lens (and ~$1800 in this case) short. They have to await the delivery of the parts from the next batch from the respective vendors.

11-26-2019, 04:57 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Are other manufacturers like this? This could be a huge factor when someone is deciding to shoot Pentax professionally.
depending on the country in which you live

there may be an option to rent equipment if yours is in for repairs

that option does exist for those living in the US

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

elsewhere ???
11-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
With Pentax, its very straightforward. Pentax's volumes are much lower. Most lenses are manufactured with "just in time" production methods. This means that parts have to be ordered from various vendors way ahead. So, if there is a lens that comes in for repairs and needs parts, they need to order those parts from the respective vendors. They cant just gram one from the lens production stock - since that means that they will be one lens (and ~$1800 in this case) short. They have to await the delivery of the parts from the next batch from the respective vendors.
I guess then it will remain a bit of a dilemma for Pentax professional users.
11-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I got my K1 back from Precision Camera in just under 4 weeks after shipping. I haven't had the chance to test it much so far but first impression is positive. It looks like new and was well packaged in shipping. I'll be shooting a basketball game next week and should be able to see how it performs.

11-28-2019, 04:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GvilleRick Quote
I got my K1 back from Precision Camera in just under 4 weeks after shipping. I haven't had the chance to test it much so far but first impression is positive. It looks like new and was well packaged in shipping. I'll be shooting a basketball game next week and should be able to see how it performs.
What was the problem with it?
11-28-2019, 07:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
What was the problem with it?
The rear AF button fell off and I was having problems with the mirror occasionally staying up. I also had shutter stutter sometimes, especially when it was colder. The repair invoice said they had replaced the top cover assembly, the shutter and associated parts, returned it to factory specs and performed a full cleaning.
11-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
it depends on the situation. if you threw your lens into the ocean, then sent it for repair, that's one thing. if any -not user's fault- repair is going to take more than 3 weeks, they should send you a loaner, no questions asked. that's an expensive lens! when your lens is fixed just give you the option to keep the loaner. it would make sense to do a little bit for customers who are paying for the big$$ lens.

12-27-2019, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GvilleRick Quote
The rear AF button fell off and I was having problems with the mirror occasionally staying up. I also had shutter stutter sometimes, especially when it was colder. The repair invoice said they had replaced the top cover assembly, the shutter and associated parts, returned it to factory specs and performed a full cleaning.
After a couple of weeks back from repairs my K1 had another shutter problem. This time the curtain would not fully retract and there was a black stripe at the bottom of all photos. I sent it back since there is a 90 day warranty from Precision Camera. The first time I sent it in I forgot to mention that there was an intermittent with the camera and grip not communicating. They said they would call to let me know what it would cost to repair that if it was not covered by their warranty. I got the camera back today and it looks like they replaced the contacts on the camera that connect to the grip and it is working fine so far. They didn't charge any additional amount and they sent the camera back next day air.
12-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Too bad it had to go back, but sounds good on them taking care of it.
12-28-2019, 07:12 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Same thing happened to me on a DA*560. Went to pick it up by its "foot" and the back half came off in my hand leaving the front half in the case. Local camera shop I bought it at said the eight little screws that were supposed to hold it together were all stripped, presumptively overtightened by some li'l VietNamese woman on the Pentax assembly line.
Wow, that's quite disturbing considering the cost of that lens.
12-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

sounds like what happened to my 150-450mm

luckily I got a local craftsman to take care of it for me
QuoteQuote:
update on the repair of my D FA 150-450mm: by a local repair shop Phototronic

it is done, and at a cost of less than $300

he runs a one man shop opened only in the afternoon M-F and he is not, by his own admission, the world fastest

he advises you to keep calling him to check on the progress of the repair

he does Vintage to Digital Camera Repairs with free estimates [ he does not sell equipment ]

If you want to try him out, please call him first

Phototronic

119 NE US Highway 24
Topeka KS 66608

785 233 0231

A Big Thank You to pres589 for letting me know about him
Read more at: DFA 150-450mm needs repair - PentaxForums.com
12-29-2019, 05:35 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll have to pay attention to my feet more after reading this. Any looseness before failure?
12-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'll have to pay attention to my feet more after reading this. Any looseness before failure?
in my case the tripod foot wasn't the problem, the lens itself separated into two pieces, the part with the optics ( front ) physically separated from the rear part with the controls
12-29-2019, 06:27 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
in my case the tripod foot wasn't the problem, the lens itself separated into two pieces, the part with the optics ( front ) physically separated from the rear part with the controls
Yikes!
12-29-2019, 06:41 PM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

it is a problem known to have happened to several Pentax-D FA 150-450mm lenses

as far as the culprit being stripped screws, I can only speak to my case

here is the thread with photos of someone else's 150-450mm

DFA 150-450mm needs repair - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com