Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2020, 07:18 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery
So you all have me a bit concerned now. Photography is my sole source of income at the moment and my K-1 and 70-200 both need calibration to address a back focusing issue. I called Precision yesterday and was told 3-5 day turn around time unless they need parts, with a base fee of $353 being charged for each. Anyone want to venture a guess if that's what it will really be? If it's going to be weeks/months I need to rethink some things.

01-01-2020, 07:26 AM   #47
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CoreyC Quote
So you all have me a bit concerned now. Photography is my sole source of income at the moment and my K-1 and 70-200 both need calibration to address a back focusing issue. I called Precision yesterday and was told 3-5 day turn around time unless they need parts, with a base fee of $353 being charged for each. Anyone want to venture a guess if that's what it will really be? If it's going to be weeks/months I need to rethink some things.
first the bad news

Precision may be the only place to have that done

good news, since you live in the US you could investigate spending money for renting equipment if the delay is too long

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

and perhaps these articles might help out if you want to try DYI

QuoteQuote:
Guide: DSLR Lens Resolution Testing at Home
Using freeware programs and charts
By beholder3 in Articles and Tips on Sep 21, 2017

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/guide-camera-lens-resol...#ixzz69mz3F4qA

QuoteQuote:
Front- and Back-Focus
An overview and fix-it-yourself article
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Dec 5, 2011

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/front-and-back-focus.html#ixzz69n0DVWVU

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-01-2020 at 07:34 AM.
01-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
first the bad news

Precision may be the only place to have that done

good news, since you live in the US you could investigate spending money for renting equipment if the delay is too long
I was actually wondering if the Ace Photo in Ashburn, VA (I'm down the road in Richmond) that you mentioned earlier might be able to do something in house. The body is out of warranty; I'll have to check on the lens but I think it is too
01-01-2020, 07:48 AM   #49
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I was actually wondering if the Ace Photo in Ashburn, VA (I'm down the road in Richmond) that you mentioned earlier might be able to do something in house. The body is out of warranty; I'll have to check on the lens but I think it is too
phone calls are cheap

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/316284-pent...#ixzz69n55fxNI

[ follow links to get to active links in that thread, I can only speak for Photoronic in Topeka, he did a great job for me ]

good luck

01-01-2020, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You’ll be ok if you have three copies of all your gear, that way you will still have a backup if you send something in to the black hole of Pentax service.
01-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #51
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
You’ll be ok if you have three copies of all your gear, that way you will still have a backup if you send something in to the black hole of Pentax service.
actually if I was going to be a professional

I would have backup equipment or plan on renting if necessary

part of cost of business
01-01-2020, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
actually if I was going to be a professional

I would have backup equipment or plan on renting if necessary

part of cost of business
As a professional I would have a system that provides professional services. Two day turnaround on service or loaners provided along with all the other benefits they provide.

Backups a must but with Pentax you need backups for your backups

01-11-2020, 05:50 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Once a camera reaches Precision, how long does it take before I can find it using my web number to check the statu?
01-11-2020, 05:52 AM   #54
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Once a camera reaches Precision, how long does it take before I can find it using my web number to check the statu?
I have only had one lens repaired by them

the only way I found to get any update at all is to work through their phone system and get to a real person. by being polite and patient, I was able to get updates
01-11-2020, 02:12 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel like I've had lenses show up in 1-2 business days, but I wouldn't hesitate to call either.
01-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #56

I sent my 70-200 in to Precision to get it recalibrated - soft focus along the entire focal range. Shipped it on January 6th, received by them January 9th (able to look it up later that day). I just called them for an update since the website doesn't show they've looked at it yet, and turns out they shipped it off to Pentax in Japan back on the 13th. Prior to sending it in I was told to expect a two-week turn-around, apparently it's a 5-6 week turn-around to send something to Japan and get it back to Precision and then likely another few days for them to get it back to me. So all told, I'm looking late February/early March before I get the lens back in my hands.
01-23-2020, 02:07 PM   #57
Pentaxian

You would like to think they are under promising and they over deliver with a faster turnaround with a five to six week quote but the track record they have it will be longer.
04-26-2020, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #58

Just wanted to update the thread to say that the D FA* 2.8 70-200 that I shipped in to Precision for recalibration on January 6th finally made it back into my hands on April 25th. Short version is that Precision shipped it to the factory where they replaced "Optical Parts" and "Lens Barrel". Since the Lens Barrel was replaced, the lens does have a different (and newer) serial number on it.
04-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Four months to basically just give you a new lens, they should've done that a lot sooner, horrible service.
04-26-2020, 05:16 PM - 2 Likes   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Four months to basically just give you a new lens, they should've done that a lot sooner, horrible service.
Considering the lens was shipped to Japan and shipments to/and from Japan have been all but shut down due to the pandemic.I wouldn't blame Precision for poor service.

For example I ordered some parts from China just a day or two before the pandemic was declared. Shipment was by USPS which normally picks up the shipment the next business day. USPS took 20 business days to pick up the parcels from the vendor. Is that horrible service on the vendors fault? Given the situation is it horrible service by USPS? I think not given circumstance as the are.