Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Delays for repair at Precision Camera

Hello All.

I have been waiting on a lens repair for my 150-450 for two and a half months now. When I call they tell me they are waiting for parts. But this is over 2 1/2 months! I think a row boat could have brought parts over from Japan by now. Sorry, a bit frustrated as they say they will keep me in the loop and just keep giving me the run around. What is their typical turn around on repairs like?

11-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A few threads about this type of service so it's not uncommon, this is an area that Pentax could really improve on.
11-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I sent an out of warranty Pentax * 70-200mm in for repair

Oct 09 - Dec 11

it had to go to Japan and back for repairs
11-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #4

If the parts aren't available in Japan you just have to wait for Ricoh to schedule another production run of the parts.

Back in the early 70s I had to wait 11 months to get parts for a tape recorder from Japan.

I suggest you call Ricoh's customer service 800 number and see if they can get the ball rolling.

11-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yikes! You guys are scaring me!
11-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

" Just the facts ... "

11-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had my DFA 150-450 repaired by Precision, in the spring of last year. It had separated into two halves. It had to be sent to Japan for repair. I can't tell exactly but:

1. The quoted me 3-5 weeks for repair.
2. I can't tell exactly when I got it back but it was at least 2 months before I got it back.

Clearly it seems like you are a bit beyond my timeline. Personally, I'd call them for an explanation.

11-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not great. I'm not a pro, and have some options, so could get by. But that's a pro-level lens. Being out of commission for that long would be pretty unacceptable if my earnings were depending on it.
11-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All repairs I've had done (at CRK in Australia) have been very prompt.

I guess we only hear about the ones that drag out.
11-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I had what I felt to be simple repair for my 77. It is being sent to Japan and they expect a 8-10 week turnaround. It seems to be just the way things are with Pentax lens

11-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had Precision turn around a repair in a day on my QS-1, and several weeks for in-house repair on a 60-250 that was purchased broken and beaten to hell, and then 6-8 weeks, maybe longer, on several lenses that had to go to Japan for service. I also had my K-1 upgrade turned around in a day or two. So, seat of the pants, I'd say if they have the parts, they can and will turn it around pretty quickly. If they are waiting on Pentax in Japan, it can take longer, and that is what it is. Yes, it would be nice if Pentax had all of this on hand as existing inventory at their service centers, but that's not today's reality of meeting margins and keeping the lights on. Hang in there. It'll all come around.
11-23-2019, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I had the AF button fall off my K1 and sent it in the beginning of this month, They received it on Nov 7 and nothing was updated until Nov 21. When I checked that day in the morning it was still listed only as received, Later that day it was already out of service and set for shipping. I'm due to get it back on Tuesday,
11-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Are other manufacturers like this? This could be a huge factor when someone is deciding to shoot Pentax professionally.
11-25-2019, 07:54 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Are other manufacturers like this? This could be a huge factor when someone is deciding to shoot Pentax professionally.
No, Canon has their own service and for CPS members you can get two day turnaround service or loaners if it will take longer. You do have to qualify with enough points for gear you own and it’s $100 a year. It also has other benefits that make it well worth it.

I’m not sure if Nikon has their own service people, I would think they do also since they offer the same type of service for NPS members.

Pentax could really use a program like it, I think people have said in the past they had something for 645 users not sure if they still do.
11-25-2019, 09:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
AFAIK most brands have a "Professional Services" program in place for up-level gear. Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, Sony have the program, Panasonic is working on it from what I've heard.

I belong to several photography-related forums and have seen users of every brand complain about the timeliness of repairs.... it seems to me, though, that Canon has the best service, even for folks who don't belong to the CPS program.