Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF540FGZ II Repair Question

My flash had the metal plate on the hot shoe work its way loose. I removed the four screws to remove the assembly. Then had to remove four more screws to get to the inside to tighten the screws into the metal plate. The problem is that three small springs also came out and I didn't see where they were. I tried tightening the screws and using it without the the springs but it will not fire. Anyone have any idea on where I might find schematics for the assembly or know where the springs go?

11-29-2019, 10:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is an exploded view of the original version:

https://viper.verific.com/WebSites/Hoa/AF540FGZPartDiagram.pdf

To me this appears to treat the entire foot as one parts assembly.

This next link says it is a parts list for your flash, but they want $8 so I'm not diving in further:

Pentax AF540FGZ II Parts List AF Flash | USCamera Pentax Download PlusUSCamera

Finally the same site says they sell a foot assembly for Pentax flashes including yours:

Pentax 65870-0-Y120 Flash Shoe Assembly AF 360 FGZ II AF 540 FGZ IIUSCamera
11-30-2019, 12:40 AM   #3

The springs should push the pins out so there should be a shaft that the springs slip over on the pins. The spring makes the electrical continuity to the pin from the wires and contacts inside the foot.
11-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This is an exploded view of the original version:

Finally the same site says they sell a foot assembly for Pentax flashes including yours:

Pentax 65870-0-Y120 Flash Shoe Assembly AF 360 FGZ II AF 540 FGZ IIUSCamera
Thank you for the info. I have ordered the flash shoe and it should be pretty easy to replace.

11-30-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GvilleRick Quote
Thank you for the info. I have ordered the flash shoe and it should be pretty easy to replace.
You are welcome. I hope it helps!
11-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I may be a little late in giving you this information, as I can see that you have already ordered a replacement shoe, but just in case you would like some information, I have it below.

I replaced a shoe foot on my AF360FGZ because it had split. It seems like as was already mentioned in this thread, they (the springs) are meant to supply a tension for the contact pins that protrude when connecting to the camera hot shoe. If you look at the photo I provided in my thread, there are two holes, and the center pin. The metal piece that you can see to the right (on the table also) seemed to hold the springs in some way in conjunction with the two holes on the foot and the center pin. I looked for more pictures that I may have had for it, but do not have them on hand, otherwise I would go into more detail that might help.

A shortcut to the thread I had made that contains the picture (second page of posts) in conjunction with the repair is below. Good luck with your repair.

AF360FGZ Hot Shoe Split - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-30-2019 at 09:36 AM.