Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-3 failure to power on problem

My K-3 will no longer power on. I have chased down all the Forum threads on this issue and followed up on any user-possible tests and remedies to no avail. I see used K-3s selling for anywhere from around $250 up to $500 and even more, but wonder whether it is worthwhile to send it out for repair. I would love to hear from anyone else who has experienced this problem and how you dealt with it.

11-29-2019, 10:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you eliminated the possibility of a bad battery? Did the problem occur suddenly? Was the camera left sitting for a long time prior to the problem popping up?
11-30-2019, 04:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would try different batteries (I'm sure have already done so). I wouldn't get it fixed. Unfortunately, the cost of a repair is probably going to be close to what the cost of a used one would be, but I guess it is up to you on that front.
11-30-2019, 04:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Power on problem for K-3

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Have you eliminated the possibility of a bad battery? Did the problem occur suddenly? Was the camera left sitting for a long time prior to the problem popping up?
Yes, I have read all the Forum threads on this problem, and followed up on all the obvious approaches such as changing batteries, etc. Yes the camera has been setting unused for a while since I got the K-1, then would not power up when I decided to use it.

---------- Post added 11-30-19 at 06:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would try different batteries (I'm sure have already done so). I wouldn't get it fixed. Unfortunately, the cost of a repair is probably going to be close to what the cost of a used one would be, but I guess it is up to you on that front.
Yes, as stated I have read all the Forum threads I could find on the K-3 power on problem, and have followed up on all the obvious user-possible approaches including switching charged batteries in and out. Yes, I think it will function well as a paper weight!

11-30-2019, 05:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Yes, I have read all the Forum threads on this problem, and followed up on all the obvious approaches such as changing batteries, etc. Yes the camera has been setting unused for a while since I got the K-1, then would not power up when I decided to use it.

---------- Post added 11-30-19 at 06:49 AM ----------

Yes, as stated I have read all the Forum threads I could find on the K-3 power on problem, and have followed up on all the obvious user-possible approaches including switching charged batteries in and out. Yes, I think it will function well as a paper weight!
There's a marketplace thread where old nonfunctioning cameras are turned into clocks. The idea isn't a service using your equipment, but you could ask or copy the idea for this k-3... Sad.

Or offer it for parts. Someone may want it.
11-30-2019, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my suggestions

1 call Phototronics here in Topeka KS and see what it would cost to get him to look at it

QuoteQuote:
Phototronic

119 NE US Highway 24
Topeka KS 66608

785 233 0231

he was able to repair it and at a cost of less than $300

he runs a one man shop opened only in the afternoon M-F and he is not, by his own admission, the world fastest

he advises you to keep calling him to check on the progress of the repair

he does Vintage to Digital Camera Repairs with free estimates [ he does not sell equipment ]

If you want to try him out, please call him first
Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com

he is good but not very fast

2 buy a used K 3 or K 3 II

3 win the last grand prize raffle in December where I think the grand prize is the new upcoming ASP-C camera

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-30-2019 at 06:34 AM.
11-30-2019, 06:23 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would try using a Q-tip with contact cleaner to reach down in the battery chamber and clean the contacts, and even clean the contacts on fully charged batteries.
11-30-2019, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
my suggestions

1 call Phototronics here in Topeka KS and see what it would cost to get him to look at it

Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com

he is good but not very fast

2 buy a used K 3 or K 3 II

3 win the last grand prize raffle in December where I think the grand prize is the new upcoming ASP-C camera
Thanks for your comments and repair recommendation. It sounds like a nice shop that would get this non-functioning camera out of my sight for a while! :>)

---------- Post added 11-30-19 at 09:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blumoon722 Quote
I would try using a Q-tip with contact cleaner to reach down in the battery chamber and clean the contacts, and even clean the contacts on fully charged batteries.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will sure try cleaning the contacts.

---------- Post added 11-30-19 at 09:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There's a marketplace thread where old nonfunctioning cameras are turned into clocks. The idea isn't a service using your equipment, but you could ask or copy the idea for this k-3... Sad.

Or offer it for parts. Someone may want it.
Thanks for the thoughts. I do not believe I would want a dead camera clock always reminding me of the loss of the underlying camera . . . but that's just me . . . maybe it would be different if someone else's camera were used for the purpose. :>)

12-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blumoon722 Quote
Does the red light near the SD card door flash when you insert an SD card? That would indicate some battery power is flowing.
12-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Does the red light near the SD card door flash when you insert an SD card? That would indicate some battery power is flowing.
No, no light at all. Thanks for the suggestion.