Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2020, 01:40 PM   #106
Unregistered User

An Update on the 560mm Drama

So, the first copy I got (ordered from Ricoh directly) wouldn't focus at all, and I returned that one to Pentax which failed to take action. I had to get the bank to back out the credit card payment on that one. Then, I bought a second one at the local camera shop, and that's the one that fell apart in my hand when I tried to pick it up. Cost me six hundred and some dollars to pay the estimate for repair by Precision (which I was not supposed to have been charged for a valid warranty claim), which I never got back. So then, in March of this year, I got the lens back, and it worked fine. Took some good pictures.

SO! Day before yesterday, I wanted to use it again, only this time, it wouldn't do autofocus at all. Tried it with the KP and the K-1, no go - the little box on the display said, "MF". Checked all the switches and settings on the lens and the cameras. Cleaned the contacts with dry microfiber cleaning cloth. Tried different lenses on both cameras with no autofocus problems at all.

Then, having come to the conclusion that I've gotten another defective lens, It occurred to me to check the serial number. Sure enough, this was a third copy entirely - they never did repair the second one, they simply replaced it and charged me for having done a repair that never happened (and should have been covered by warranty) and "forgot" to tell me about what had happened.

Same drama, different day. But, having received three copies of the same lens, and all three having been seriously defective, I would seriously hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Now, if there's something I've missed, and there's some stupid reason why I can't get AF to work on that lens, I'd sure like to hear about it before I raise a ruckus with the seller.

Any ideas?

10-11-2020, 03:07 PM - 2 Likes   #107
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yikes! Sounds like you have been really unlucky with this lens. (All three of them!)
10-11-2020, 11:13 PM - 2 Likes   #108
Pentaxian

With my 70-200, when I set the focus limiter to specific range, and then manual focus out of such range, the AF does not work until I return to the said range or switch the limiter to full. From what you have written it seems like you might have tried it already, but that's the only guess I have.

Sigh, this thread man. You'd have thought that for such expensive/low volume lens, QC would be of the highest standard, but alas, it is as crap as everything during the Hoya era.
01-23-2021, 04:28 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to hear your DA560 is now working properly.

Hope it will continue working fine for many years to come.

01-23-2021, 05:07 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just read through this litany of woe. One thing occurs to me. Ricoh make a big deal about their cameras being tough, with mag alloy on a stainless steel frame etc. What is the point if the lenses are made of flimsy materials. If the lenses were cheap that would be one thing but many lenses cost more than the body.