Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2020, 11:44 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This was such a great thread that I decided, after failing to unscrew the bezel on my K50, to follow your instructions and attempt to repair what I thought were some internal dust particles on the interior of the front element, or in the front group of elements. They would give a "starry sky" look when shining a light into the lens, so maybe haze or something. I keep hearing how easy it is to take apart and clean up lenses, but I rarely had luck in the past. Today was no exception. I ended up creating more destruction than I went in to clean. Now, on the third element, I presume I have created a spec or maybe even a scratch that Pec Pads should not be able to create. I cleaned with 70% isopropyl and Pec Pads and a couple of lint-free cloths that were recently cleaned (running water only).

My question to this group, and to anyone who repairs lenses for themselves or others is, how the hell do you do it? It seems simple that a little fluid followed by a rub-down followed by another rub down with a dry cloth ought to solve the problem, but I always somehow seem to make things worse. What do you use to clean and how do you clean it? How are you keeping your area dust free, because I can't seem to even get that accomplished... I open the lens, and I can see dust from other rooms forming an ameboid-like creater and charging at the clean glass.

I gave up on this lens, put it back together (thanks to your video, with expert aplomb... at least I didn't strip any screws this time), and am planning to send it on to another owner who can repair it or use it for parts. I was never that fond of this version anyway... I saw the starry-sky look upon receipt, and my biggest mistake was keeping the lens anyway.

Sorry for the rant. I'll go get some whisky now.