Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2020, 01:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My first thought was something called Schneideritis,* a condition often associated with lenses from that maker. It presents as a spread of white dots (often more prominent towards the edges) and is caused by separation of the black paint applied to the lens edge bevels. That said, it may be something else, including condensation dots. I don't think it is fungus or separation.

Steve

* Use Google image search for example photos.
Very interesting, I didn't know there was a word for it. I find it's quite common on Takumar lenses (35/2 for example) but it doesn't take the usual dot form, it looks more like sparkly lines.

01-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Damn, its a shame to get this on such a beautiful lense.
01-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't had to take my A50/1.2 apart, but good to see how it's done. Most of these you can get what you need to by unscrewing the front bezel.
01-07-2020, 06:26 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well, y'all convinced me so I undertook the task to take it apart and clean it myself last night. Good news, it worked. It was oil on the front grouping, all three front elements. Quickly cleaned off.

Other good news, you do NOT have to go through the back to access this front grouping. At least not on my version. I did, and it just added a bunch of extra time and risk to lose a ball bearing or springy wire. I took a video and I will narrate it and upload it later tonight hopefully, but basically you just have to get the front decorative ring off and it exposes three screws to then take off the front casing. Then you have access to everything you need.

Thanks for all your help! I introduced a few dust particles, this is not a professional operation over here, but I would much rather have that then the oil splotches. Lens performs beautifully now as expected! I'm so excited!

01-07-2020, 07:24 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Well, y'all convinced me so I undertook the task to take it apart and clean it myself last night. Good news, it worked. It was oil on the front grouping, all three front elements. Quickly cleaned off.

Other good news, you do NOT have to go through the back to access this front grouping. At least not on my version. I did, and it just added a bunch of extra time and risk to lose a ball bearing or springy wire. I took a video and I will narrate it and upload it later tonight hopefully, but basically you just have to get the front decorative ring off and it exposes three screws to then take off the front casing. Then you have access to everything you need.

Thanks for all your help! I introduced a few dust particles, this is not a professional operation over here, but I would much rather have that then the oil splotches. Lens performs beautifully now as expected! I'm so excited!
Great to hear. Wouldn't mind seeing the video so that I can keep the knowledge in my mind in case I need it some day.

What did you use to clean it off?
01-07-2020, 05:10 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am sure we are all happy to see that you were able to get this cleaned up...but how did oil get back there?!? I look forward to the video.
01-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
I am sure we are all happy to see that you were able to get this cleaned up...but how did oil get back there?!? I look forward to the video.
Wonder if storing front element down could come into play?

01-07-2020, 08:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
What did you use to clean it off?
These little disposable lens tissues I had. I may go back through and do it again with some of the suggestions left above in this thread (some sort of cleaner), but for now that seemed to have worked.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
I am not sure either... It was in all three front elements. It's almost as if maybe some condensation happened and it gathered oil from different areas and collected there. Or something. I'm no detective

Here's the video. My original taking it apart video somehow vanished from my phone, so I just took another real quick for demonstration purposes.
01-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
It was in all three front elements.
Any elements between these and the aperture blades?
01-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Nice to see that you found the issue and were able to correct it! That lens deserves to be used.
01-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Seems you got this lens for free now just because seller doesn't know much about lenses. That's some good luck because this is a nice lens.
01-30-2020, 06:31 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 5r82 Quote
Seems you got this lens for free now just because seller doesn't know much about lenses. That's some good luck because this is a nice lens.
To be fair, I didn't know enough either until you all came along

Yes, it is extremely fortunate to get this lens for free, just some time to clean it! It's a really interesting lens to work with but I'm trying to learn shooting with it
02-23-2020, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #28
Forum Member

If fungus a solution of 50/50 peroxide and ammonia then top up double with water Ie 50+50+100 = 200. This effectively cleaned off fungus in a 135mm Zuiko lens on the second element and on the rear element.

My vintage Dacora 120 camera shows spots like this on the inside front element but the above solution did not remove them. Given the age of the camera (1950's vintage) the fungus or chemical had enough time to etch into the coating permanently.
02-23-2020, 07:02 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As it happens, I have recently bought one of these lenses with rather bad fungus. I am tempted to give it a go myself, but I don't have the tools required for the job - a JIS sized screwdriver and one of them lens wrenches.
02-24-2020, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
As it happens, I have recently bought one of these lenses with rather bad fungus. I am tempted to give it a go myself, but I don't have the tools required for the job - a JIS sized screwdriver and one of them lens wrenches.
If it is in the front elements like mine was I would say it's not that hard and worth a try, but I suppose that all depends on how much you got it for and how confident (or in my case foolish) you are

I have not found a good way around the spanner wrenches so I did end up getting one. I got the Neewer one or whatever that brand is called and I am not a fan. It is finicky. I never feel like it is super sturdy, and as such feel like it could slide at any time and hit something it shouldn't. Also the tips on it are not small or straight enough for some smaller slots I have encountered, which has prevented me from taking apart some lenses.

That was a long way of saying, if you do get a spanner wrench, do more research than I did into a good one for these types of lenses