Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How to fix DA* 16-50 without PKtether

I tried to use my aforementioned lens after a long time in my bag. It worked prior to being placed in my bag, but now doesn't work at all. I assumed it's the dreaded SDM motor, so I tried to convert the lens, but it would appear that PKtether doesn't seem to exist anymore. Does anyone have a solution?

01-07-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A member here will do the conversion for a small charge:
SDM to Screwdrive Conversions - PentaxForums.com
01-07-2020, 10:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

User Blacknight659 has a great post on this site about screw-drive conversion, and the post also includes a link to PKTether via a Google Drive. I downloaded it from there about 3 weeks ago and successfully modified my DA*300. It was very quick and easy.

How To: Convert SDM to ScrewDrive + Video - PentaxForums.com
01-08-2020, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
User Blacknight659 has a great post on this site about screw-drive conversion, and the post also includes a link to PKTether via a Google Drive. I downloaded it from there about 3 weeks ago and successfully modified my DA*300. It was very quick and easy.

How To: Convert SDM to ScrewDrive + Video - PentaxForums.com
@bikehead90, in posts #14 and #15 in the thread that Blacknight659 linked, there are instructions regarding how to do it without PKTether.

This is all do it at your own risk If you're not a technical person, send it to our awesome forum member @UncleVanya, he does it so cheap - it's almost a favor considering the hassles of getting the camera, getting this done, and then packing it up and going back to the post office...

01-08-2020, 08:08 AM   #5

Depending on what body you have you should be able to get into debug mode without PK_tether. PK_tether just makes it easier by be able to toggle debug on or off with a few clicks rather than messing around with text files on the card.

And another forum member archived that last PK_tether install files and provided a downloadable link. I haven't found the post yet but you can do your own searching too.

Edit: look what I found in my browser history:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2uv9RXId6z4eUE2OTZmVTMybFk/view

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-08-2020 at 08:13 AM.
01-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bikehead90 Quote
It worked prior to being placed in my bag, but now doesn't work at all
I let mine sit too long after getting my DA 20-40 and experienced the same thing. I found I can get it to "wake up" by pressing the shutter release half way to get it to focus, and then assisting it manually while holding the shutter release at that half way point. It seems to kick back to life after going through this cycle a few times. Might be worth a try, but I have been thinking of converting it to just be done with the hassle.
01-11-2020, 01:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Depending on what body you have you should be able to get into debug mode without PK_tether. PK_tether just makes it easier by be able to toggle debug on or off with a few clicks rather than messing around with text files on the card.

And another forum member archived that last PK_tether install files and provided a downloadable link. I haven't found the post yet but you can do your own searching too.

Edit: look what I found in my browser history:
PK_Tether_0_7_0.zip - Google Drive
Thanks for the link to the zip file, but it's not running on my Mac. Do you have any suggestions? I'm fairly computer savvy, but don't have a ton of experience with .zip files/their readers.

01-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #8

Runs on PC only I'm afraid. No Mac version.
01-11-2020, 06:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a Mac user, and have done my own conversion twice - once on a 16-50, and recently on a 50-135. Both times I used a K10D with firmware 1.31.

Export the EEPROM file to an SD card in the camera, then transfer it your computer and edit in a simple text editor. It took a bit of trial and error, but all went well in the end.

But as you're in the USA, I'd suggest you just send it off to UncleVanya.
01-11-2020, 06:51 PM   #10

Again, what camera body do you have? Depending the model you can create the text files and put them on the SD card to set the camera to debug mode.
01-13-2020, 10:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I tried to use my aforementioned lens after a long time in my bag. It worked prior to being placed in my bag, but now doesn't work at all. I assumed it's the dreaded SDM motor, so I tried to convert the lens, but it would appear that PKtether doesn't seem to exist anymore. Does anyone have a solution?
Before you take it apart,

- make sure you have a full battery
- try to focus on something that has high contrast that is almost in focus
- use the back button
- make a small adjustment with quick shift bringing it in and out of focus
- keep trying to gain focus with the AF
- listen for a slight noise coming from the lens, if you here something keep trying for a bit.
- the smaller the focus adjustment the better until it starts to move then it should get easier

Be patient, it might come loose
01-14-2020, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Clickclick’s suggestion was the one that worked. I put it on my k3, kept pressing the shutter release, and after 30 seconds it “woke up”. Thanks all for the suggestions.
01-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clickclick’s suggestion was the one that worked. I put it on my k3, kept pressing the shutter release, and after 30 seconds it “woke up”. Thanks all for the suggestions.
Glad you got working, I wonder how many people gave up to soon?
01-14-2020, 02:05 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And don't forget to take it for a walk! Mine needs regular exercise to keep it happy, and just like my legs, seems to make a difference. I use it as my queue to go take more photos!
01-27-2020, 05:18 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
And don't forget to take it for a walk! Mine needs regular exercise to keep it happy, and just like my legs, seems to make a difference. I use it as my queue to go take more photos!
Believe me, I'm chomping at the bit to go out and shoot. Unfortunately, life has been getting in the way. :/