Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2020, 11:05 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Spotmatic Exposure Counter... Fixed!

Hey Everyone,

This is a quick write up on how I managed to fix my Spotmatic SP's exposure counter, which was stuck at 2 notches before 0, and the dial would not advance, no matter how many times I wound and fired the camera. The other two cases I've seen around the web, which may also be applicable to this issue are:

-Dial wont advance past X number
OR
-Dial is stuck at 36, and won't reset

Photo 1:
With the camera back closed, the dial would not budge no matter how many times I fired the camera.

Photo 2:
After reading around for a bit, I found out that the notch extending from the camera backing was designed to push a lever forward when the backing was closed shut. This engaged the exposure counter. I tried to illustrate that action in this image.

Photo 3:
I used a small screwdriver to manually push the lever, and was careful not to push it too far. But while I did this, I advanced the film advance lever, AND IT WORKED !!! It was a very exciting moment.

I think is also important to note, I found this could be tested in a much easier fashion!

1. just open the back,

2. note where the notch is by placing your thumb at that location,

3. and close the backing.

4. Apply slight pressure where your thumb it, so that the notch pushes into the lever a bit more.
5. With pressure applied, try winding and firing the camera,
6. If the exposure meter turns, you found your problem(:

Photo 4:
My solution. Using my index finger and thumb, I applied force at the single point of the notch, while bracing the back with my index. This slight bend inward was enough to get the exposure counter working perfectly.

Photo 5:
The orange arrow is slightly off, but the exposure counter is working beautifully. I just need to loosen the 3 set screws on the sides of the cover to reposition the orange arrow, and it will be even better.

I actually just purchased this camera, and the seals seem to need replacing. I havent put a roll through it yet, but Im eager to check how they come out. I purchased this one off of ebay, sold as is with a mirror stuck up. It only took a few minutes to get this baby working flawlessly again. The picture of the camera with the top taken off is of an inoperable one Im still trying to figure out why the shutter curtains, and film advance lever wont budge.

Anyways, I hope this helps

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
01-10-2020, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the fix!