Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2020, 02:54 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is really a shame to see that damage. With any luck it is only the hotshoe base and the prism cover that is broken.

A few years ago I had my camera bag in the overhead during a hard landing on a short runway. The pilot was very hard on the brakes and due to the flight not being particularly full, we could hear the bags in the under-filled overhead sliding forward and crashing into the bulkhead. I figure my camera bag hit at about 40 mph. Fortunately, the K-3 and more sensitive lenses were in a smaller bag between my feet. No more overheads for the gear unless in a hard-side or in very thick neoprene pouches.

Steve
There's a thought. But our flight was full. So, I don't think that could have happened. There was a ferry ride too, just to add to the mix of unknowns. Ah well, no matter how it happened, it's not going to change the outcome. It will be expensive, that's for sure.

01-21-2020, 05:48 AM   #17
Pentaxian

When I look at those cameras, I see that they are exposed to be hit over anything on angular areas on the body: dials in corners, flash hotshoe. Rear screen could of break into pieces if hit in the middle. In my bag, the K1 areas that are directly exposed to stress are the mode dial and the hotshoe. It seen both parts are vulnerable on the K1. The hotshoe is supported by the molded plastic compound that makes the top cover of the camera, I consider this as a design flaw because there could be a composite carbon fiber/plastic top cover, as strong as metal without interferring with the GPS. The hotshoe base is a soft piece of plastic, because every time I mount my RF60 on the K1, the RF60 woobles.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ah well, no matter how it happened, it's not going to change the outcome. It will be expensive, that's for sure.
If you don't use the flash, you could tape the top to prevent moisture and keep using the camera as it is, and it would cost you nothing.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-21-2020 at 05:55 AM.
01-21-2020, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear this Mark, hope it gets sorted out soon.
01-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow. You need a new top cover. People talk as if metal tops don't fail. They can and do. I have seen some of Nikon's nice cast top covers cracked, but it is tough to know how much force was involved. I have been surprised by the durability of fiberglass filled polycarbonate parts. It would be nice to do some accurate testing. Anyone want to donate their camera?

01-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Oh damn its a shame. That is pretty much how my K10D died, altough there was a hefty impact in my case that you propably would have noticed.

I sure hope you get a cheap repair for that.
01-21-2020, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The hotshoe base is a soft piece of plastic, because every time I mount my RF60 on the K1, the RF60 woobles.
The shoe on the K-1 is attached with four screws from below through a thin metal sheet and the prism housing material into the metal rail (both sides are a single piece of metal, per cut-through photos). The apparent plastic "base" (only a portion visible below) sets into the rail to provide mounting, insulation, and registration for the center and three dedication contacts. If there is wobble, it is the prism housing itself that is flexing, either that or the flash in the shoe.

Lifted from this PF post from a few years back: Help! K1 hot shoe came off (warning: k1 gore) - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

FWIW, my K-3 has the same shoe with zero wobble and negligible flexion. Apparently that is due to it being fixed from below through the magnesium top cover.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-21-2020 at 01:45 PM.
01-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
When I look at those cameras, I see that they are exposed to be hit over anything on angular areas on the body: dials in corners, flash hotshoe. Rear screen could of break into pieces if hit in the middle. In my bag, the K1 areas that are directly exposed to stress are the mode dial and the hotshoe. It seen both parts are vulnerable on the K1. The hotshoe is supported by the molded plastic compound that makes the top cover of the camera, I consider this as a design flaw because there could be a composite carbon fiber/plastic top cover, as strong as metal without interferring with the GPS. The hotshoe base is a soft piece of plastic, because every time I mount my RF60 on the K1, the RF60 woobles.

If you don't use the flash, you could tape the top to prevent moisture and keep using the camera as it is, and it would cost you nothing.
I've not noticed wobbling with my RF60 flash, but I agree with your points. I'm too much of a perfectionist to simply tape it up!
01-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The shoe on the K-1 is attached with four screws from below through a thin metal sheet and the prism housing material into the metal rail (both sides are a single piece of metal, per cut-through photos). The apparent plastic "base" (only a portion visible below) sets into the rail to provide mounting, insulation, and registration for the center and three dedication contacts. If there is wobble, it is the prism housing itself that is flexing, either that or the flash in the shoe.

Lifted from this PF post from a few years back: Help! K1 hot shoe came off (warning: k1 gore) - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

FWIW, my K-3 has the same shoe with zero wobble and negligible flexion. Apparently that is due to it being fixed from below through the magnesium top cover.

Steve
Thanks for that info Steve. I've not seen wobble with my RF60 flash but this photo sure shows nicely what's happening in there.

03-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
An update:

I've heard back from the New Zealand agent who have heard back from Ricoh in Japan: The repair will involve replacement of the top cover assembly, at a cost of NZ$678.50. I have made the payment and should have the camera back in about 3 weeks.
Luckily our insurance will cover a fair chunk of it.
03-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Relatively good news Mark.
(Good in getting it fixed - relatively in relation to the cost!)
03-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Relatively good news Mark.
(Good in getting it fixed - relatively in relation to the cost!)
Indeed! The insurance company has been good to deal with so the whole ordeal (including courier costs) is only costing me $300.
03-05-2020, 05:31 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Who is the NZ Pentax service agent? I remember when I cracked the top cover of my Silver K1 facepalm ...I ended up taking the camera to CR Kennedy's office in Mt. Wellington who sent to Aus who in turn sent it to Japan to get it fixed. At that time though, CRK wasn't (and still isn't afaik) the official Pentax service agent in NZ.
03-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
Who is the NZ Pentax service agent? I remember when I cracked the top cover of my Silver K1 :facepalm: ...I ended up taking the camera to CR Kennedy's office in Mt. Wellington who sent to Aus who in turn sent it to Japan to get it fixed. At that time though, CRK wasn't (and still isn't afaik) the official Pentax service agent in NZ.
I R Little in Christchurch. (They have been good to deal with so far.)

How much did it cost to have done through CRK?
03-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
How much did it cost to have done through CRK?
They charged me $305 for replacement of the top cover assembly and recalibrating whatever might have been impacted by the damage. I had bought my K1 from B&H with a squaretrade accidental drops warranty and I just sent them the invoice and ended up not having pay anything

I was thinking of going to IRL for help but on their website they mentioned they "do not provide any warranty, guarantee, repair facility or spare parts for parallel imported products." so I didn't really bother to ask them and from what I read about CRK from the Aussie members on this forum, they seemed really good.
03-07-2020, 12:06 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
They charged me $305 for replacement of the top cover assembly and recalibrating whatever might have been impacted by the damage. I had bought my K1 from B&H with a squaretrade accidental drops warranty and I just sent them the invoice and ended up not having pay anything

I was thinking of going to IRL for help but on their website they mentioned they "do not provide any warranty, guarantee, repair facility or spare parts for parallel imported products." so I didn't really bother to ask them and from what I read about CRK from the Aussie members on this forum, they seemed really good.
Yikes! That's somewhat better than the price I was quoted.