Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2020, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1II hotshoe mount broken

Bit of bad news. I'm generally very careful with my equipment so I'm absolutely flabbergasted as to how this happened. We were away for a few days which involved both train and airplane travel.
The camera when not in my hands travel inside a very well padded large camera bag with the camera in it's own compartment separated from any lenses. I did not have a flash with me for the trip and noticed the damage yesterday when changing lenses. It must have received a knock somewhere along the way but as to how this could happen through a well padded camera bag I'm not sure. I've not knocked the camera against anything.

I have contacted the New Zealand Pentax service agent this morning and am waiting to hear from him with regards to costs to get this sorted. The camera will likely need to go to Japan to have this fixed.

From an online search it seems the top plastic is very thin. If you have a K-1 I'd advise taking extreme care with the top of the camera! I'll post more when I know more.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
01-20-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

that stinks!

have you tried using flash?
01-20-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
that stinks!

have you tried using flash?
It sure does. No, I can't mount a flash as the plastic hotshoe cover cannot be removed as the pushed-in mount prevents the cover from being slid out. Even if I could get it out, I would not try mount a flash as I would not want to risk a short circuit or any additional damage.
01-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is really bad luck Mark. Airplanes and the overhead compartments can be a bit tricky. Once a hinge in the overhead compartment crunched a part of my K-5 and the top LCD cover came of. Since then I alway's stay away from those hinges with my camera bag.

01-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, that is terrible. Is there any sign of impact on the camera bag?

This morning I read 2 recent laments of the tripod mount on the new Olympus camera breaking; when we are shelling out serious cash for these nice cameras, we should feel secure knowing they can take a few knocks.
01-20-2020, 04:55 PM - 2 Likes   #6

Definitely a weak spot on the K-1 series. At least a couple other forum members report damage to the prism housing - from drops or falls as I recall. The top cover in this area needs to be beefed up. The designers must have made some compromises to accommodate the GPS antenna and circuitry.
01-20-2020, 05:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It did happen to my K-5ii once and flash was mounted and was hit by someone walking by when the flash was mounted... The metal housing of the show popped off with the flash that was a bit loose (very minor play if at all) to begin with. Had to send it for repair.
In your case it seems the camera went into a lot of stress on top of the hot shoe (got squished against an edge of a seat or the passenger bar in trains or the latches of an over head bin without you noticing it).
It is not easy to break it the way it is seen in the picture. It probably succumbed to a lot of pressure..

01-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
That is really bad luck Mark. Airplanes and the overhead compartments can be a bit tricky. Once a hinge in the overhead compartment crunched a part of my K-5 and the top LCD cover came of. Since then I alway's stay away from those hinges with my camera bag.
I don't think it happened there, but who knows. I certainly did not see any hinge. I think damage on the train may have been the likely cause. Or, shuttle service from train to airport. It's a mystery.
01-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Wow, that is terrible. Is there any sign of impact on the camera bag?

This morning I read 2 recent laments of the tripod mount on the new Olympus camera breaking; when we are shelling out serious cash for these nice cameras, we should feel secure knowing they can take a few knocks.
No, the camera bag is perfect. Knowing how many knocks my K-5 and older Pentax cameras have had, and how I've been babying the K-1II, this has come as a bit of a worrying surprise. I've been more "careful" with this camera than any one of my previous cameras!
01-20-2020, 06:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Definitely a weak spot on the K-1 series. At least a couple other forum members report damage to the prism housing - from drops or falls as I recall. The top cover in this area needs to be beefed up. The designers must have made some compromises to accommodate the GPS antenna and circuitry.
Yes, there have been some reports. I've wracked my brain as to where it could have happened. Looking back, I think I can rule out the airplane. Not the train ride. That was bumpy as train rides can be but the camera or camera bag was never out of my sight. ANd no bags were stacked on top of the camera bag at any time. I'm real confused at how this could have happened. You have no idea how careful I've been with this camera!
01-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
In your case it seems the camera went into a lot of stress on top of the hot shoe (got squished against an edge of a seat or the passenger bar in trains or the latches of an over head bin without you noticing it).
It is not easy to break it the way it is seen in the picture. It probably succumbed to a lot of pressure..
The camera was not in any situation where it could have been subjected to a "lot of stress" At all times, I handle the bag with care and the camera with more care. It's also never out of my sight when I travel. Having said that, I could have bumped the well padded bag against something while it was on my back and not noticed. (It is a back-pack style bag.)

There's no impact mark on either the bag or the camera and the camera is functioning perfectly. (Other than the hotshoe issue) Looking at it closely, I can confirm that the plastic is very thin - less than a millimeter.
01-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Any point where it was checked baggage?.....that's the only thing I could think of
01-20-2020, 06:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
Any point where it was checked baggage?.....that's the only thing I could think of
No, I'd never do checked baggage for a camera.
01-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That is really a shame to see that damage. With any luck it is only the hotshoe base and the prism cover that is broken.

A few years ago I had my camera bag in the overhead during a hard landing on a short runway. The pilot was very hard on the brakes and due to the flight not being particularly full, we could hear the bags in the under-filled overhead sliding forward and crashing into the bulkhead. I figure my camera bag hit at about 40 mph. Fortunately, the K-3 and more sensitive lenses were in a smaller bag between my feet. No more overheads for the gear unless in a hard-side or in very thick neoprene pouches.

Steve
01-21-2020, 02:46 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is why I like a full metal body, none of this gps and wifi rubbish, full metal housing.