Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2020, 04:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Canada Pentax Lens Warranty Experience

So we all know Pentax is doomed and the warranty service is poor (compared with other models).

In November of 2018 I sent a lens (DFA 28-105) to Sun Camera (the only warranty repair in Canada), they received it on the 20th of November. I called December 11th, was told waiting on a part 10 days to 2 weeks. I called in January, February, March - each time the same response. I reached out to Pentax (multiple ways) and heard nothing until the US support line transferred me to a person in Canada who assured me the part I was waiting for had been shipped and the warranty centre would have it that week. 2 weeks later my lens came back - in worse condition than when it went in, not only did it still not auto focus, it now couldn't (physically) zoom past 75mm, so I sent it back.

I called monthly - got the same 'waiting on parts' answer, I am sure the person that answered the phone was recognizing my voice by the end of 2019 as I could hear the pain in his voice when every call he said, 'oh yes you are waiting on the Pentax lens - let me check', only to come back with waiting on parts another 2 weeks at least. I was frustrated, but nothing I could do other than wait (and purchase other lenses to cover that range).

Yesterday a box arrived in the mail from Sun Camera. The exterior of the box was half crushed and damaged and I thought here we go again - I will just have to ship this back. I opened the box and pulled out the packing and there was a 28-105 lens box inside with the repair paperwork.

in the Tech Comments there were four words: REPLACED WITH NEW LENS

I don't know if it was Sun Camera, or if was Pentax. I now have a shiny new lens that is new and works perfectly. The only comment to Pentax would be, why did it take 14 months? During this time I have purchased 3 off-brand lenses 70-200, 35mm, 18-200 new and 2 used, the new ones probably would have been Pentax if the repair had been done in a few months.

In the end I got a new lens, so I am not terribly upset - my wife however would rather I not drop the money on a Pentax lens in a focal length or aperture I don't have, if I can get it in another brand. I still want the new 50mm, so I will probably have to wait till she forgets some of this before I buy it.

01-25-2020, 05:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You wore them down with your tale of horror, Michael!

01-25-2020, 05:21 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to hear you received a new lens, but what an awful wait.

I don't know how consumer law works in Canada, but if I'd been waiting more than three months for warranty repair of an item, I'd inform my credit card provider and the supplier that I'd be initiating "small claims" legal action against them both. That might be enough for either party to refund the cost of the lens, or - in the case of the supplier - provide a replacement.
01-25-2020, 06:20 AM   #4

Warranty?

Luckily in the Netherlands warranty is the responsibility of the seller, not of the manufacturer. It is a pity that Pentax (read Hoya) closed down the Pentax service centers and the Japan factory. To be honest the standard lenses made in Japan in the film era look better than the more expensive Limiteds and the expensive * editions from the later (Vietnam?) digital era. I had planned to change to Samsung NX after the more than great experience with the Samsung GX10. Unluckily Samsung dropped out of the pixel counting race and I just bought a K7 with the last Samsung/Pentax developed sensor.
The only truly great digital camera made by Pentax is the K-01. Which still produces great stills, which cannot be said from the K7 (unless you mount a 18-135mm to it.)
In the Netherlands I see now a lot of 28-70mm second hand at a bargain price, so what is wrong with that lens?

01-25-2020, 06:52 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Luckily in the Netherlands warranty is the responsibility of the seller, not of the manufacturer.
It's the same here in the UK.

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
It is a pity that Pentax (read Hoya) closed down the Pentax service centers and the Japan factory. To be honest the standard lenses made in Japan in the film era look better than the more expensive Limiteds and the expensive * editions from the later (Vietnam?) digital era. I had planned to change to Samsung NX after the more than great experience with the Samsung GX10. Unluckily Samsung dropped out of the pixel counting race and I just bought a K7 with the last Samsung/Pentax developed sensor.
The only truly great digital camera made by Pentax is the K-01. Which still produces great stills, which cannot be said from the K7 (unless you mount a 18-135mm to it.)
In the Netherlands I see now a lot of 28-70mm second hand at a bargain price, so what is wrong with that lens?
I think, perhaps, it would be better to start a separate thread rather than de-rail the OP's discussion re warranty. I've no doubt there'd be some interesting discussion (and rebuttal, perhance) on a number of the points you raise

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-25-2020 at 07:06 AM.
01-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting, my only experience here in Canada was relatively quick, aperture block failure with my K-50. It was two weeks from sending it away to getting it back.
01-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #7
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

More horror stories:

Pentax Lenses Falling Apart - Stripped Internal Screws - PentaxForums.com
01-25-2020, 08:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by michealm Quote
I called monthly - got the same 'waiting on parts' answer,
Glad to hear that your warranty issue was finally addressed. A long wait.

I think your experience -- and those of other members who have faced relatively long delays -- raises a question of what is a reasonable period to wait for a repair or replacement?

The Canadian consumer protection laws that I have looked into don't define 'reasonable.' The typical 'we're waiting for parts from Japan' without any estimated timeline is frustrating.

- Craig

01-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #9

A year to wait does seem like too long. My personal experience with Sun Camera was very good and fast, though they don't really communicate well over email. I get the sense that they're too busy to answer every email with anything more than quick, stock responses, which is frustrating at a time like this where you're getting neither results nor explanations. Ricoh does seem to have a propensity for failing to provide repair parts and test samples in a timely manner, which is strange because I doubt they ever move a high enough volume to ever drop low on stock. Unless they're shipping everything by boat, the shipping speed shouldn't be a factor here, and if they simply no longer have stock of a certain item it shouldn't be so hard to tell that to the repair shop. I just can't think of a reasonable explanation for the delay.
01-25-2020, 06:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My experience in Australia with CRK is that they are very prompt and do the work perfectly.
01-25-2020, 11:06 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are no laws that I am aware of in Canada regarding what you went through. But then again...
Had a brand new Subaru years ago that every part was not put together properly. It got to the point that the company would not even honour the 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. The Canadian office would not take my calls and Japan simply sent my unopened letter back to me. Finally just sold the car. So...the problems are not just with cars.

Henrys Camera up here offers a private warranty...so when I bought my K1 I broke down and bought it...just in case it needed warranty work.

On the other hand...I bought a used 645D a year ago. Needed the small cap that covers the flash pin outlet and an owners manual. Called the CDN office and explained my situation. Said I would pay for it if it was available. They took down all my information.

Wait for it....by courier, 2-3 weeks later...I received an original pentax pouch with the instruction manual and the cap...at no charge.

Sometimes you win and sometimes you...