Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2020, 05:05 AM   #1

Pentax MX advance lever no 20 degree position

I was wondering which part keeps the advance lever in the 20 degree position needed to engage/disengage the exposure meter? The advance lever works great, it just does not stay in the 20 degree position, but rather goes all the way back when the shutter is fired. The only real problem I have with this is that it drains my batteries so there's no point in putting them in the camera, and I would really like to have the exposure reading visible in the viewfinder.

I'm thinking of fixing it myself if it's not too difficult. I have an ME available as donor body if needed. Do I fix this from the top or the bottom of the camera?

01-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not quite following you here. I don't have an MX at hand, but my KX has essentially the same operation. On the KX (my camera), the expected behavior is:
  • Meter is enabled with the wind lever in the "ready" position of 20 and disabled with the lever stowed against the body. The meter switches on with half-press of the shutter button and stays on until the wind lever is stowed against the body or the shutter lock is engaged.
  • Shutter release works both with the wind lever stowed against the body and in the 20 position
  • After pressing the shutter release, the wind lever stays where it was before the button was pressed
  • After using the wind lever for film advance, the lever returns to the 20 position unless moved against the body by user action
What aspect of the above is not working properly?

Steve
01-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a free pdf copy of the MX Service manual on the Pentax Manuals Web site:

Pentax Manuals | Service Manuals

It might provide some clues.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-26-2020 at 12:48 PM.
01-26-2020, 04:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
[*]After using the wind lever for film advance, the lever returns to the 20 position unless moved against the body by user action[/LIST]What aspect of the above is not working properly?

Steve
This one. The lever on my MX does not return to the 20 position after advancing the film. It moves directly to the position against the body, it skips the 20 position.

01-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deepbluish Quote
This one. The lever on my MX does not return to the 20 position after advancing the film. It moves directly to the position against the body, it skips the 20 position.
OK...

Are you able to turn off the meter using the shutter lock?

Steve
01-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
I can't check because my batteries are empty, and I'm out of spares right now.
01-27-2020, 07:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
I've just checked with new batteries. The shutter lock does turn off the light meter.