Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2020, 10:04 AM   #1

MX light meter calibration

Does anyone know how to calibrate the light meter in the Pentax MX? I recently acquired one that seems to be in perfect working condition, aside from the meter. It is constantly telling me Iím underexposed, even when comparing to the correct exposure settings on a different camera.

Any help would be appreciated! Iím not afraid to take the top off to complete this job

01-28-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try rotating the ASA dial around. The MX has a very accurate meter normally, but if it is out a stop, just adjust the ASA to compensate. I am not aware of any other way for a non professional to alter things.
01-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Estey Quote
Does anyone know how to calibrate the light meter in the Pentax MX? I recently acquired one that seems to be in perfect working condition, aside from the meter. It is constantly telling me Iím underexposed, even when comparing to the correct exposure settings on a different camera.

Any help would be appreciated! Iím not afraid to take the top off to complete this job
How do you know the different camera is correct ?

The MX has only centre weighted metering, which may explain some difference to more modern matrix meters. How far out is it and is it always the same amount ?
01-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Try rotating the ASA dial around. The MX has a very accurate meter normally, but if it is out a stop, just adjust the ASA to compensate. I am not aware of any other way for a non professional to alter things.
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
How do you know the different camera is correct ?

The MX has only centre weighted metering, which may explain some difference to more modern matrix meters. How far out is it and is it always the same amount ?

I am comparing the meter reading of my MX, to my ME with the same exact lens. After messing around with the ASA, the meter is still seeming to behave erratically and does not read remotely close the the ME's meters. Most of the time, the meter on my MX will be pinned red either at the top, or at the bottom. I'd like to figure out what is failing to attempt my own repair, but I might have to resort to a CLA down the road.

01-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Estey Quote
I am comparing the meter reading of my MX, to my ME with the same exact lens. After messing around with the ASA, the meter is still seeming to behave erratically and does not read remotely close the the ME's meters. Most of the time, the meter on my MX will be pinned red either at the top, or at the bottom. I'd like to figure out what is failing to attempt my own repair, but I might have to resort to a CLA down the road.
That is common on the MX. It either means that your batteries are low or the meter is faulty.