Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2020, 06:17 AM   #1

Autofocus Calibration

Hi All,
I have a FA* 80-200 lens that I really like, but tends to have some focus shift issues, ie: with in-camera adjustment of +10, the focus range is still a little behind; also the "hit" rate of in-focus shots is not so good, compared to my Sigma 70-200. I sent the lens to my local Pentax service center (in Switzerland) to have the lens calibrated, but they said it was too old and couldn't be serviced any more
Is there some 3rd party service centers who can do some adjustments to the lens to help improve the focusing? I see some places where you have to send the camera+lens, but I think they just do in-camera +/- adjustment, which is not what I am looking for. I would like to have the lens itself adjusted...if that is even possible?
Any advice is welcomed, thanks

02-03-2020, 06:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by telesto Quote
Hi All,
I have a FA* 80-200 lens that I really like, but tends to have some focus shift issues, ie: with in-camera adjustment of +10, the focus range is still a little behind; also the "hit" rate of in-focus shots is not so good, compared to my Sigma 70-200. I sent the lens to my local Pentax service center (in Switzerland) to have the lens calibrated, but they said it was too old and couldn't be serviced any more
Is there some 3rd party service centers who can do some adjustments to the lens to help improve the focusing? I see some places where you have to send the camera+lens, but I think they just do in-camera +/- adjustment, which is not what I am looking for. I would like to have the lens itself adjusted...if that is even possible?
Do your other lenses require a + adjustment ? If they all require some + adjustment you can send the camera to Pentax who will recalibrate the camera so that your FA* lens may only need a +6 for example. The should do this free of charge.
02-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by telesto Quote
Hi All,
I wonder which camera you use. My experience is that different Pentax-es behave in a different way. This behaviour is common with my Samsung GX10, the Samsung version of K10D, and my K-7 also has difficulties with AF lenses from the film era. To me it is more likely to be a problem of the camera than of the lens (depending on the camera you use).
02-04-2020, 12:37 AM   #4

Original Poster
I have a K-1 and K-70 and this lens has strong backfocus on both, so I am pretty sure it is the lens. Other lenses I have need smaller or no corrections on the same cameras.

I guess I can live with the in-body correction, but would prefer if the lens itself could somehow be adjusted. Is that possible? Would any "parts" be needed for that? (Pentax service center said "no parts are available" for this lens and refused to do anything with it)

02-04-2020, 03:37 AM   #5
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

I had similar problems with my K-1. Finally gave up on attempting autofocus adjustment and sent it to Precision. They fixed it under warranty. There are three distances within the camera that have to be identical, lens to focal plane, lens to exposure sensor, lens to viewfinder. They weren't, as it turned out, in my camera, a manufacturing error. Works fine, now. It still needs to be adjusted for specific lenses, but now it can be.