Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #1

program plus

So in my recent gear sorting and purchase of a Pentax q S1 I came across my old program plus.

There were not batteries as I always remove them. Put in a fresh set with a 50mm A series. Meter works. Everything looks normal. I advance the mechanism.
Press shutter, nothing. Tried all the dials opens back. Nothing.

Then I opened the back lifted the rewind and when I pushed it down it fired. Odd.

Tried everything again. Push shutter. Nothing.

In a moment of playing I hit the shutter button rather hard and it fired. Tried again. It fires..

So at the moment if I hit the shutter button hard it will fire. Camera isn't really usable like this. But at least there is life..

Anyone experience this or have idea for repair. My guess is some contacts have corroded. Or oxidized. ....annoying because it's been sitting in storage.

Any help would be appreciated.

...I have the manual and repair manual. Just not sure where to start if the terminals are corroded.

02-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

sounds 'sticky' or debris at the firing release point....a tiny amount of ronsonol (lighter fluid) may do the trick getting the mechanism movement back in order.....a cable release may do the trick as well as it moves the trigger in a slightly different manner.....good luck!!
02-08-2020, 01:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hmm. I'll take a look where do I out the light fluid. At the shutter release button?

It's very odd. It works. Basically if I hit it on the trigger.
02-08-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by armi101 Quote
At the shutter release button?
that would work as it will travel to the bottom....but removing the bottom plate may serve better as you can watch what happens as you wind and fire....the plate I think has 3 screws the middle one may be smaller than the others......it is not as "scary" as it sounds....think the shutter release pin is next to the gears of the winder.....you should see it move when firing that would be the ideal spot to give a touch of fluid

plus with the plate off you can clean out any debris floating around

02-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
I had the scary already. I took off the shutter ring and there was a tiny ball bearing sitting on a spring. Which I promtly dropped..... Luckily found and all out back together, and back to same function as before. Nmi have to jam it hard and it fires. I'll take it apart today.

Either this or try and find another one.
02-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I took off the shutter ring and there was a tiny ball bearing sitting on a spring. Which I promtly dropped..... Luckily found and all out back together
yer lucky I just about always lose them!! yeh that ball gets it to 'click' into place.....I usually go bottom plate first to inspect that way I don't hafta mess with anything on top unless forced into doing so after the fact
02-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ok. I added the lighter fluid. Letting it sit for a while. See what happens. Fingers crossed.
02-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Fingers crossed.
good luck....reckon failed to mention (not that is correct) i generally work the camera to move the debris out while it is 'wet'

02-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #9

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to put solvents in a camera in a relatively uncontrolled manner. Something like lighter fluid will dissolve adhesives and petroleum based lubricants and cause them to migrate to places where it shouldn't be in the first place. In the case of adhesives (tapes, bumpers, etc.) they can lose adhesion too.
02-08-2020, 10:26 PM   #10

Original Poster
Ok. So here is the update.
Used very little fluid. Right on the shutter release. It moves very smoothly now. But no success. Still will not release the shutter.

I also noticed that after I use the film advance, I don't actually need to push the shutter release to make it fire. I only have to kinda tap/hit/ push in the area generally around the shutter release and it will fire. My guess, is that either I am activating the mechanical shutter by another method, or I am making a electrical contact actually contact.

I'm going to go through the service manual and see what I can find. But my guess is that this is an electrical/ circuit board issue.

Oddly, the light meter and other systems seem to work. Just will not release the shutter.

Unless someone else has an idea. I think I'm left with taking it apart.

Bare in mind, I have tried all the settings in many combinations, different lenses, new batteries, manual, auto, 100x, bulb.
02-08-2020, 10:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I don't actually need to push the shutter release to make it fire.
well dang...…
have a sears ksx and a yashica fx-3 super that fire immediately as the winding lever makes it return after cocking the shutter and do not really know what to do about that.....

have a sears ks-2 that behaved in the same manner but somehow 'fixed itself' 'playing around' with it.....dumb luck
02-08-2020, 10:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had an MG with a similar issue. It wouldn’t fire with the shutter, but bump the camera hard enough, it would. I took it in and was told by my repair man that there was a lever in the mirror box which was worn out. The cost to allocate and do the repair was enough that I could have bought a couple of working MGs and get them CLA’d.
02-08-2020, 10:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
my repair man that there was a lever in the mirror box which was worn out.
ah.....that maybe the case with the FX-3 as holding a lever in the mirror box it will cock and hold as long as I hold that lever in place......fires as soon as I let it go

or it may be bent out of place......its amazing the minutest displacement or tiniest of debris can cause so much trouble!
02-08-2020, 11:36 PM   #14

Original Poster
Unfortunately I feel this will be the same cheaper to buy another than try and fix the old one. Except for the challenge of repairing it myself.
02-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Except for the challenge of repairing it myself.
I am not an expert and prolly get lucky more than anything else but I enjoy tinkering with bodies I acquire for my "collection"

in most cases the revival is a lot of cleaning but it very satisfying getting a dead box back to life and run a roll through it or it's on the list to run a roll (relatively new to doing this less than a year)......other cases only so much progress is made and sometimes it is just beyond what I am capable doing

the Yashica tl-super (left) was brought back to life (shutter & light meter) by cleaning however the VF glass is somehow cracked and impossible to focus accurately with all the distortion......when I get time to remove the top plate I will replace it as I have a parts body (which I created by mistakes).......the argoflex had several problems and the shutter is still an issue as I cannot figure out how to open it up but it is clean and pretty for displace and can be focused is accordance to its distance scale

I enjoy the satisfaction and frustration of tinkering