Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #31

Original Poster
I sent the Tamron lens for repair. Tamron replaced the mount on the lens. But, when I got back the lens, the camera was still not communicating with the lens. So, there was no problem with the lens in the first place. I removed the lens mount plate on my K1 camera and found one of the plastic screw holders was broken. Please see the attached photo.

I looked for the broken piece inside the camera but could not. Is there a way to fix the screw hole so that it can hold the screw in place? Would it require me to send the camera for repair? I have an old k-x camera. Would it be possible to replace the mount of K1 with the k-30?

After I put back the plate in place, I find a few more lenses are not communicating with the camera.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Moto Z3 Play  Photo 
04-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by muraliy Quote
I sent the Tamron lens for repair. Tamron replaced the mount on the lens. But, when I got back the lens, the camera was still not communicating with the lens. So, there was no problem with the lens in the first place. I removed the lens mount plate on my K1 camera and found one of the plastic screw holders was broken. Please see the attached photo.

I looked for the broken piece inside the camera but could not. Is there a way to fix the screw hole so that it can hold the screw in place? Would it require me to send the camera for repair? I have an old k-x camera. Would it be possible to replace the mount of K1 with the k-30?

After I put back the plate in place, I find a few more lenses are not communicating with the camera.
Well, if this isn't interesting. Your K-1 has no data pin, the "A" pin appears to have been damaged (hard to tell since not in focus), and there is an assortment of scrapes and insults in the mirror box. Oh...and a glob of epoxy near the broken fitting for the data pin. It looks like your camera has suffered significant damage to the mount area at one point and not properly repaired.

Edit: Dang...this is embarrassing. I miscounted contacts. As noted by @c.a.m. below, the empty hole is a damaged thread hole.

Well, if this isn't interesting. The "A" pin appears to have been damaged (hard to tell since not in focus), and there is an assortment of scrapes and insults in the mirror box. Oh...and a glob of epoxy near the munged screw hole. It looks like your camera has suffered damage to the mount area at one point and may not have been not properly repaired.

With any luck, there might be someone following this thread who has had their mount off and who might offer suggestions. Otherwise, a competent repair shop might be your best bet. If the camera is new to you, a discussion with the seller might be in order.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-11-2020 at 01:57 PM.
04-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #33

Original Poster
Thank you Steve for your observation. I bought the K1 on this forum market place some time ago. I never had any problem with the camera for quite some time till the heavy Tamron 70-200mm showed issues. Looks like the previous owner had done some repairs on this as you observed. I will try to contact him and see if he can give some insights.

Any suggestions for a good repair shop in the bay area, California? I am not sure where to go with everything shut down due to Coronavirus.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, if this isn't interesting. Your K-1 has no data pin, the "A" pin appears to have been damaged (hard to tell since not in focus), and there is an assortment of scrapes and insults in the mirror box. Oh...and a glob of epoxy near the broken fitting for the data pin. It looks like your camera has suffered significant damage to the mount area at one point and not properly repaired.

With any luck, there might be someone following this thread who has had their mount off and who might offer suggestions. Otherwise, a competent repair shop might be your best bet. If the camera is new to you, a discussion with the seller might be in order.

Steve
04-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your K-1 has no data pin, the "A" pin appears to have been damaged (hard to tell since not in focus), and there is an assortment of scrapes and insults in the mirror box. Oh...and a glob of epoxy near the broken fitting for the data pin. It looks like your camera has suffered significant damage to the mount area at one point and not properly repaired.
Yes, it appears that there's been some damage.

@stevebrot, I'm not totally familiar with the data pins -- at which position would the 'A' pin be located?

I think the empty hole is a damaged threaded hole for a flange mount screw. The small glob appears to be either epoxy or hot glue remnant.

- Craig

04-11-2020, 01:51 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
@stevebrot, I'm not totally familiar with the data pins -- at which position would the 'A' pin be located?

I think the empty hole is a damaged threaded hole for a flange mount screw. The small glob appears to be either epoxy or hot glue remnant.
You are correct...I miscounted! The empty hole is a damaged screw hole.

There are seven contacts total. Looking at the camera side, the "A" pin is third from the left and data pin is the furthest right.

Steve
04-11-2020, 02:11 PM   #36

Original Poster
Yes, the empty hole is the damaged screw hole. I have written to the seller. I hope he replies.

In the meantime, what are my options? If I want to repair the broken screw hole, how can I do it? After all, the screw just needs to be able to hold in place. If there is a reliable way of doing it, maybe I am good.

Would the mount on a K-30 be used to replace the assembly on K1? If so, how complex would the replacement be? If I send the camera for repair, how much would I need to expect to pay?

You are correct...I miscounted! The empty hole is a damaged screw hole.

There are seven contacts total. Looking at the camera side, the "A" pin is third from the left and data pin is the furthest right.

Steve
04-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@muraliy, I don't have any experience with this type of repair on a camera.

Doing a quick search for similar problems, I found these threads:

A fairly extensive description by @DaveR: K-5IIs Lens Mount Repair - PentaxForums.com

A response by @marcusBMG: Broken K-30 lens mount. What to do next? - PentaxForums.com

I'm not certain whether a flange mount could be swapped from a K-30; perhaps someone else has a definitive answer. I'm thinking the mount is tightly integrated into the whole mirror box assembly.

As for the damaged screw hole, a successful repair would depend on the extent of the damage to the screw tab. If it's fractured, then a repair might be difficult. For the hole, metal-reinforced epoxy, boring, and tapping comes to mind, but I don't have any experience in working with such tight tolerances -- there's not much allowance there. I also can't say whether the epoxy would afford sufficient 'bite' for the relatively fine-threaded machine screw. A metal threaded insert is not likely to work because of the scant material available at the tab. In the thread referenced above, @DaveR seems to have been successful using epoxy and some skillful attention to details.

I'm afraid I'm not much help here, and hopefully other members might offer their ideas.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-11-2020 at 04:37 PM.
04-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #38

Original Poster
Thank you Craig for taking the trouble to look up the links that could help me.

It looks too complicated for my skills to be able to do what DaveR was able to accomplish. Right now, the camera is still usable with some of the lenses. I am afraid, if I try something as extensive as DaveR, I might make it worse.

I was looking up repairs online. I see some very bad reviews for Precision Camera. Does anyone have experience with KEH? What are the other reliable options to get the camera repaired.

I have not heard from the seller who sold me the camrea. Looks like he sold me the camera without revealing this potential problem he should have clearly known.

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
@muraliy, I don't have any experience with this type of repair on a camera.

Doing a quick search for similar problems, I found these threads:

A fairly extensive description by @DaveR: K-5IIs Lens Mount Repair - PentaxForums.com

A response by @marcusBMG: Broken K-30 lens mount. What to do next? - PentaxForums.com

I'm not certain whether a flange mount could be swapped from a K-30; perhaps someone else has a definitive answer. I'm thinking the mount is tightly integrated into the whole mirror box assembly.

As for the damaged screw hole, a successful repair would depend on the extent of the damage to the screw tab. If it's fractured, then a repair might be difficult. For the hole, metal-reinforced epoxy, boring, and tapping comes to mind, but I don't have any experience in working with such tight tolerances -- there's not much allowance there. I also can't say whether the epoxy would afford sufficient 'bite' for the relatively fine-threaded machine screw. A metal threaded insert is not likely to work because of the scant material available at the tab. In the thread referenced above, @DaveR seems to have been successful using epoxy and some skillful attention to details.

I'm afraid I'm not much help here, and hopefully other members might offer their ideas.

- Craig