Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 27
Tamron 70-200mm aperture info pin missing

I found my Tamron 70-200mm lens' aperture info was not showing on my K1. It would show only when pressed and tilted at an angle. When I tried to clean the contact pins, found that the Aperture info pin is missing (3rd contact pin on the lens). Is there a way to fix it myself or do I need to send it for repairs? I don't know how this happened. It was fine when I used it before.

Thanks.

02-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,234
Are you saying there is a hole instead of a contact in that position?


Steve
02-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 27
Original Poster
Steve, Thank you for your reply. The metal conductor ("button") is missing in that position. You can see that in the attached photo.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you saying there is a hole instead of a contact in that position?


Steve
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-09-2020, 11:00 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,234
QuoteOriginally posted by muraliy Quote
Steve, Thank you for your reply. The metal conductor ("button") is missing in that position. You can see that in the attached photo.
Wow...that is very much not there. That would be a Tamron part. It would probably be worth getting a bid on a repair.


Steve

02-10-2020, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 50
QuoteOriginally posted by muraliy Quote
I found my Tamron 70-200mm lens' aperture info was not showing on my K1. It would show only when pressed and tilted at an angle. When I tried to clean the contact pins, found that the Aperture info pin is missing (3rd contact pin on the lens). Is there a way to fix it myself or do I need to send it for repairs? I don't know how this happened. It was fine when I used it before.

Thanks.
I have looked at several of my original Pentax lenses, among which the Pentax F 70-210, and in the same position there is no pin. On some of them it is closed with a nylon part and some are just unopened metal (just like your Tamron). I do not think there is a problem with your lens. Might be the K-1 or one of the other contacts on the lens that seem in order malfunctions. There is nothing missing. Most of my F lenses look exactly the same as your Tamron.
If instead you see -- it might be that the A position on the lens malfunctions and shows the manual aperture sign --, that is what I saw with a lens of mine. It also means that the set aperture is the one closest to the A position.

Last edited by AfterPentax; 02-10-2020 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Missed a hook. And had to explain what might be the case.
02-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Crooski's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rozenburg , Zuid-Holland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,646
I can confirm that none of my F lenses have a pin at that location
02-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 27
Original Poster
I checked a couple of my other lenses and did find the pin in that position in those lenses. That is why I suspected that the pin on the Tamron has fallen off. My K-1 does not have any problem with my other lens and shows the aperture value which I can adjust normally. On this Tamron, when I push and hold the lens in a particular way, the aperture value is displayed and can be adjusted. But I get a pair of dashed lines (manual aperture sign) when I let go.

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I have looked at several of my original Pentax lenses, among which the Pentax F 70-210, and in the same position there is no pin. On some of them it is closed with a nylon part and some are just unopened metal (just like your Tamron). I do not think there is a problem with your lens. Might be the K-1 or one of the other contacts on the lens that seem in order malfunctions. There is nothing missing. Most of my F lenses look exactly the same as your Tamron.
If instead you see -- it might be that the A position on the lens malfunctions and shows the manual aperture sign --, that is what I saw with a lens of mine. It also means that the set aperture is the one closest to the A position.
02-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,234
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I have looked at several of my original Pentax lenses, among which the Pentax F 70-210, and in the same position there is no pin.
QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
I can confirm that none of my F lenses have a pin at that location
Good points. That position is not the "A" pin; rather, it is one of two pins that code for f/32 minimum aperture. What is missing would be an insulating disk.


Steve

02-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 50
QuoteOriginally posted by muraliy Quote
I checked a couple of my other lenses and did find the pin in that position in those lenses. That is why I suspected that the pin on the Tamron has fallen off. My K-1 does not have any problem with my other lens and shows the aperture value which I can adjust normally. On this Tamron, when I push and hold the lens in a particular way, the aperture value is displayed and can be adjusted. But I get a pair of dashed lines (manual aperture sign) when I let go.
I had this with a Pentax 80-320. I think that the lens needs servicing. In the case of my Pentax, Pentax refused to repair it because it was not worth it anymore. The aperture ring needs to be reassembled to get al the inner contacts in place with the contact points you see on the bayonet. Hence your holding it tight in a certain position forces something inside the lens and then seems to work well. That is also a reason that it could not be a missing contact point, otherwise you would not have gotten the result that it works when forced into position.

---------- Post added 02-10-20 at 01:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Good points. That position is not the "A" pin; rather, it is one of two pins that code for f/32 minimum aperture. What is missing would be an insulating disk.


Steve
It is not a case of missing an insulating disk, because there is no insulating disk. It is just a blind spot for the inside contacts and bayonet as well. So that contactpoint is not necessary for transporting electrical information back and forth to the camera. That is why it is closed.
02-10-2020, 01:42 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,234
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
It is not a case of missing an insulating disk, because there is no insulating disk. It is just a blind spot for the inside contacts and bayonet as well. So that contactpoint is not necessary for transporting electrical information back and forth to the camera. That is why it is closed.
Interesting interpretation. That spot is normally occupied by the M1 contact which in tandem with the M2 contact codes for minimum aperture. Lenses on my shelf have flat metal, a conductive plug, an insulator, or a ball contact with insulating collar* at this location. I have none with a pit, though I have several with an insulating disk.

Addendum: I did a survey of Tamron 70-200/2.8 at auction and they appear to have a translucent plug at this location. Perhaps another owner could check in. (@northcoastgreg ?)



On non-AF bodies, the contacts are passive and code for aperture range and minimum aperture by simple continuity test. The table with the aperture encoding is at:

Features and Operation of the KA Mount | The K-Mount Page.


Steve

* This type can code either high or low depending on the wiring behind the mount.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-10-2020 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Clarity
02-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
brewmaster15's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 974
Pic attached..hth.
Al
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G900V  Photo 
02-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 27
Original Poster
Thanks for the picture. So, my lens' pins are OK. Looks like I need to send it in for repair. Do you know where I can get it fixed economically in USA?
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Pic attached..hth.
Al


---------- Post added 02-10-20 at 03:22 PM ----------

Thanks for the logical analysis. I am now afraid the repair will not be "cheap"

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I had this with a Pentax 80-320. I think that the lens needs servicing. In the case of my Pentax, Pentax refused to repair it because it was not worth it anymore. The aperture ring needs to be reassembled to get al the inner contacts in place with the contact points you see on the bayonet. Hence your holding it tight in a certain position forces something inside the lens and then seems to work well. That is also a reason that it could not be a missing contact point, otherwise you would not have gotten the result that it works when forced into position.

---------- Post added 02-10-20 at 01:19 PM ----------


It is not a case of missing an insulating disk, because there is no insulating disk. It is just a blind spot for the inside contacts and bayonet as well. So that contactpoint is not necessary for transporting electrical information back and forth to the camera. That is why it is closed.
02-10-2020, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
brewmaster15's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 974
QuoteOriginally posted by muraliy Quote
Thanks for the picture. So, my lens' pins are OK. Looks like I need to send it in for repair. Do you know where I can get it fixed economically in USA?


---------- Post added 02-10-20 at 03:22 PM ----------

Thanks for the logical analysis. I am now afraid the repair will not be "cheap"

If your lens was original purchase and less than 6 years old maybe its under warranty still.. ( Lens Registration, Tamron USA)


.. might be good to start with a call to tamron... at least see if they have any service centers..


al
02-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 27
Original Poster
I bought it used from adorama about a year ago. So, no luck.

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
If your lens was original purchase and less than 6 years old maybe its under warranty still.. ( Lens Registration, Tamron USA)


.. might be good to start with a call to tamron... at least see if they have any service centers..


al
02-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #15
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 676
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Pic attached..hth.
Al
Or just try cleaning the contacts first, particularly if the lens is stopping down to the correct aperture for exposures in all modes.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
70-200mm, 70-200mm aperture info, aperture, aperture info pin, bayonet, camera, contact, contacts, disk, foot, head, info, lens, lenses, mount, pentax, pentax service, pin, position, repair, service, tamron, tamron 70-200mm aperture, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 vs. Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 (urgent) billdotjr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 05-27-2019 12:57 PM
Pentax Da* 50-135mm SDM Contact Pin Missing. hugsbaby Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 19 05-08-2014 04:38 PM
Missing pin generic K mount extension tubes MSL Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 03-29-2012 08:47 PM
44M aperture/aperture pin issues teartear Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 09-19-2011 01:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:30 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top