Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #1

K5ii cleaning and adjusting

Hi,
I have a k5ii that I love. I use it with a Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM that has been remarkably sharp for years, taking about 75% of my shots with it... the lens, despite it's creep fills my specific needs. I do not know what the shutter count on the camera is, but it should be nearing 1 bazillion.

Remarkably, this camera has never been cleaned or serviced in spite of constant use in very rough service (thank you dust alert and rocket blower). The lens has needed work, way back when I used it on my Kx (focusing fork?).
I would like to get this camera cleaned and adjusted to factory specs... that is the primary desire. As a bonus, if I could get the lens serviced and adjusted to the body, that would be good, too. The lens creeps badly and has lost it's sharpness lately, but Sigma's rep said they will not work on a lens that is more that 10 years old at any price (and said that they will soon stop working on *any* Pentax mount lenses as Sigma and Ricoh are just not getting along).

I have been fortunate that, with my specific shooting needs, I have had such a good copy of this lens and such a dependable camera as the k5ii. I do not see the advantage of the KP for my needs and the K5ii and I are one, at this point.

My past experiences with Precision Camera have been very bad... they once had lost my Kx and took many months to get it back to me and then took 9 weeks to get a piece of lint out of a different lens on another occasion. Adam's Electronics replaced the aperture block in my son's K50 and sent it back with missing screws twice and finally with entire missing parts until they wore us out.
Would KEH be a good place to send the k5ii for fast turnaround routine service and would it be a good option for sending the
Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM along with it? If not, where for either option?

Thanks for reading and for any suggested options... .. .

02-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can find out the shutter count on your camera by uploading a recent picture here:
Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

I love my K-5IIs, but have my eye on a KP (preferably) or a K-3 (secondarily). The K-5 family has an estimated shutter life of 100,000 clicks. The KP is the same. The K-3 is rated at 200,000. If you shoot a bazillion pictures and your K-5II is getting a little long in the tooth, that might be something you want to consider. I've read that some people's results are considerably better or worse, so these numbers are only a rough guide. You can see a side-by-side comparison here:
Pentax K-5 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

I've never had any repair work done, so can't help you there. No doubt others will.
02-19-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 62mm Quote
Hi,
I have a k5ii that I love. I use it with a Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM that has been remarkably sharp for years, taking about 75% of my shots with it... the lens, despite it's creep fills my specific needs. I do not know what the shutter count on the camera is, but it should be nearing 1 bazillion.

Remarkably, this camera has never been cleaned or serviced in spite of constant use in very rough service (thank you dust alert and rocket blower). The lens has needed work, way back when I used it on my Kx (focusing fork?).
I would like to get this camera cleaned and adjusted to factory specs... that is the primary desire. As a bonus, if I could get the lens serviced and adjusted to the body, that would be good, too. The lens creeps badly and has lost it's sharpness lately, but Sigma's rep said they will not work on a lens that is more that 10 years old at any price (and said that they will soon stop working on *any* Pentax mount lenses as Sigma and Ricoh are just not getting along).

I have been fortunate that, with my specific shooting needs, I have had such a good copy of this lens and such a dependable camera as the k5ii. I do not see the advantage of the KP for my needs and the K5ii and I are one, at this point.

My past experiences with Precision Camera have been very bad... they once had lost my Kx and took many months to get it back to me and then took 9 weeks to get a piece of lint out of a different lens on another occasion. Adam's Electronics replaced the aperture block in my son's K50 and sent it back with missing screws twice and finally with entire missing parts until they wore us out.
Would KEH be a good place to send the k5ii for fast turnaround routine service and would it be a good option for sending the
Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM along with it? If not, where for either option?

Thanks for reading and for any suggested options... .. .
My recent experience with Precision was great, from start to finish.