Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax Super A might be mold, looking for advice

Hi there,

I've got a Super A recently, and it's in a fairly good condition except for the mold (if it's mold) that's visible through the viewfinder, but not through the mirror box.

There's some debris from the mirror cushion, so not sure if that relates to the what I assume as mold.

I currently live in Germany, as I'm studying there. Was wondering if any of you had some advice on the afforementioned issue and or know a repair shop or two?

here are some links to the direct pics:

https://i.imgur.com/xo1da90.jpg (Viewfinder/no lens)

https://i.imgur.com/I9DTgGs.jpg (mirror box front)

https://i.imgur.com/EjrTLgo.jpg (mirror box view up)

https://i.imgur.com/Wknenfe.jpg (mirror box close up)

Pardon the terrible mobile picturres btw

Thanks for taking the time to read!

02-26-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

That looks like mold on the eyepiece, a very strange place to get it. My solution to mold has always been to get rid of the equipment as quickly as possible to try to ensure it doesn't spread. Fortunately, I live in a very dry environment, and haven't had to deal with it often.
02-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Wheatfield; film cameras go for cheap enough that such things are not worth the headache. It *does* look like mold and if it's there there's no telling where else inside the camera it can be...
02-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well, considering I got it dirt cheap. I could probably sell it without or minimal loss. Appreciate the advice.

02-26-2020, 02:34 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JackShang84 Quote
Well, considering I got it dirt cheap. I could probably sell it without or minimal loss. Appreciate the advice.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That looks like mold on the eyepiece, a very strange place to get it. My solution to mold has always been to get rid of the equipment as quickly as possible to try to ensure it doesn't spread. Fortunately, I live in a very dry environment, and haven't had to deal with it often.

I would make sure it is separated from your other gear and isolated by securing it in plastic to prevent any spores from infecting other items
02-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How quickly can this thing spread??
02-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought it could spread but it seems I was wrong:

"there is a thread on that "

QuoteQuote:
Is fungus in lenses 'contagious'?
I have a Pentax DA 55-300 lens (first generation) that unfortunately has succumbed to fungus. Quite a bit is clearly visible across the different elements.

I am now storing it separately from my other lenses, BUT If I keep using this lens, can it 'spread' to other lenses if i use them on the same camera?

Can it also infect the camera?

Thank you!

Theo

Read more at: Is fungus in lenses 'contagious'? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

04-05-17, 12:56
pete-tarmigan

QuoteQuote:
No and no! Fungal spores are ubiquitous. You are breathing them in right now. To germinate, all they need is humidity, an appropriate growth medium (the coatings on optics) and warmth. See the link below.

Does my view finder have fungus growing in it??? - PentaxForums.com

When not in use, keep your camera gear in an environment with the relative humidity under 70% via a dehumidifier or in a container with packages of desiccant that can be heated to dry them out after use. More than one resident of the humid tropics has told me that they kept their camera gear with desiccant inside a bell jar sealed off with lanolin to prevent the humidity from from fueling rampant fungal and bacterial growth on the lens coatings. Tropical heat and humidity is the reason. Tinea Versicolor (a fungal skin infection) is common in the tropics but not in temperate or cold regions for the same reason. The fungal spores are present in the latter regions, but don't grow on the skin without the heat and humidity (and lack of personal hygiene).

As far as the camera body goes, the humidity poses a greater risk of corrosion of metal parts than of fungal growth because of a lack of growth medium.
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/343427-fun...#ixzz6F6I26XJV

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-26-2020 at 03:09 PM.
02-27-2020, 04:02 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mixalis_kalymnos1611 Quote
How quickly can this thing spread??
Already did that, but apparrently it's no issue as it doesn't seem to spread according to what the previous posters have said.

At least that put's my mind at ease.

I guess opening up the thing by myself wouldn't be as easy. Shame I got it really cheap and already bought batteries and film
02-27-2020, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Already did that, but apparrently it's no issue as it doesn't seem to spread according to what the previous posters have said.

(
This isn't quite true. If the conditions are right for mold growth, and you introduce a piece of equipment that is contaminated into an uncontaminated kit, the odds are very good that you will get a cross infection.
Yes, there is mold everywhere, but some mold spores are more likely to find your lenses to be a nice little home to start a family in. If you have those spres present and give them a nice environment to bloom in, they will take advantage of it and spread.
This is why I get rid of moldy equipment if it happens to come my way. I also would not sell equipment with mold. If I can't get some sort of satisfaction from the seller, I toss the stuff in the trash.
My equipment investment is far too great to risk getting a spore infection in it.
02-27-2020, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
This isn't quite true. If the conditions are right for mold growth, and you introduce a piece of equipment that is contaminated into an uncontaminated kit, the odds are very good that you will get a cross infection.
Yes, there is mold everywhere, but some mold spores are more likely to find your lenses to be a nice little home to start a family in. If you have those spres present and give them a nice environment to bloom in, they will take advantage of it and spread.
This is why I get rid of moldy equipment if it happens to come my way. I also would not sell equipment with mold. If I can't get some sort of satisfaction from the seller, I toss the stuff in the trash.
My equipment investment is far too great to risk getting a spore infection in it.
I'll see to it that I take extra precaution then, bagged it in a plastic bag.

Better safe than sorry.
02-27-2020, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll see to it that I take extra precaution then, bagged it in a plastic bag.

Better safe than sorry.
Keep it dry, and if you can, get a high dose UV light (even sunlight will work) and let that shine through the optical path for a while. A few weeks will kill the spores, and then you just have the residue to deal with.
This is presuming you intend to keep the equipment.
02-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #12

Original Poster
Keep it dry, and if you can, get a high dose UV light (even sunlight will work) and let that shine through the optical path for a while. A few weeks will kill the spores, and then you just have the residue to deal with.
This is presuming you intend to keep the equipment.
Thanks for the advice, definitely worth a shot!

Will get back here with the results
02-29-2020, 02:05 AM   #13

Original Poster
Not sure if this will be considered double posting, if that's the case sorry.

However I noticed something different while taking a gander through the viewfinder, if viewed by an angle from above I got this:

https://i.imgur.com/GmiMZas.jpg

Does this bring a better insight into the issue? I read the K1000 has some silver film, is this the same case with the Super A, am I going to need to get a new prism?
03-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I would say its desilvering of the prism. It may have been caused by foam that was sometimes put around prisms. As it decays it turns acid and starts eating things, with any old camera its always worth lifting thenlid ro see if the prism is surrounded by foam. Olympus OMs are notorious for it but I have seen it in Canon cameras as well. A Canon FTb I have had it and thankfully the foam was the other side of a brass fitting, the foam had started to eat the brass away so its quite aggressive.

If its not foam its something like fungus thats started eating stuff, its very hard to tell from the pics.