Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2020, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Let us know if you get it off. We are all waiting with baited breath.
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
You could try 1-1/2 PVC pipe coupling
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
The nameplate unscrewed easily.
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Try warming it up
Thank you all who contributed - GOOD NEWS!!!

So, I decided to put the metal cylinder holding the nameplate and 2 front elements into my small tabletop oven at 300F... left it there for about 45 seconds. It got hot. As I was going to try to spanner my way into the nameplate THE SENCOND ELEMENT FELL INTO MY HAND - Yes! This allowed me to get behind the first element and clean the small traces of fungus the lens had.

Now, I still tried to get the nameplate off - still won't budge! Yet, I honetly do not need it to unscrew anymore as my lens is really clean now (save very minor specs in the rim of the front element).

Mind you, I acquired this lens at a fraction of the cost due to the fungus. Having it serviced at home has just paid up big time!

Again, thank you all!

Test shot (I actually cleaned off the fungus with this, nothing major):

03-12-2020, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

proceed with caution

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Thank you all who contributed - GOOD NEWS!!!
. . .

Congrats!

For what this is worth... If you still have your lens apart, and if you still want to get the nameplate off, I'll tell you how I dealt with my own stubborn one.

Just last week I was dealing with a stuck nameplate on an old telephoto lens. I have a proper spanner and I tried heat, alcohol and even MEK. And still it wouldn't budge! As a last resort, I set the lens face down in a shallow dish of isopropyl alcohol and let it soak for a couple hours. After the soak, I applied heat and, finally, I was able to get the nameplate off with the spanner.

Yes, afterward the lens was a wet mess inside the front end. But the alcohol didn't appear to harm the finish on the lens or the coatings on the elements.

I'm not suggesting anyone else try that method, just sayin' what worked for me.
03-12-2020, 11:24 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Congratulations, now you could probably sell the rest of isopropanol on Craigs list for hand sanitizer
03-13-2020, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Congratulations, now you could probably sell the rest of isopropanol on Craigs list for hand sanitizer
Unfortunately, I'll probably need it for myself and family