Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2020, 08:20 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tips on unscrewing nameplate off a K series lens

Hello - my 135/2.5 has some specs behind the front element that I know I can easily clean off. The problem is that I cannot get that stubborn nameplate out! I've really forced my spanner, to no avail. It won't budge.

I tried getting to it from behind, however, after removing the inner ring that holds the second element in place, that element does not want to come out!

Is there any cemented pieces there? Based on the schematic I do not think that elements 1 -2 are cemented together - but are they cemented to the body?

What's up with my nameplate? is it glued that anyone knows?

Should I try a bit of lighter fluid? I am hesitant to do that in case it penetrates but does not allow me to take the nameplate ring off and thus it may evaporate inside leaving a haze behind.

I do not think it is worth sending it out for CLA, since this is the only issue with the lens.

thanks for suggestions.

03-11-2020, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #2

It may have been worked on before and someone used a thread lock or some other adhesive. Try warming it up with a hair dryer or using a tiny amount of acetone on the threads. Apply with a fine spotting brush or a toothpick.
03-11-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No info in the lens repair database. A u-tube video of the 135mm f3.5 disassembly shows the nameplate unscrewing in a normal manner.
Double check for any small grub screws that might be locking it on. as per prev, use eg acetone/MEK judiciously along the join (nb minimum quantity, this may well also dissolve the plastic...) and +1 warming things up. good luck
03-11-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
MEK
What is this, If I may ask?

as per prev, use eg acetone/MEK judiciously along the join (nb minimum quantity, this may well also dissolve the plastic...) and +1 warming things up. good luck
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It may have been worked on before and someone used a thread lock or some other adhesive. Try warming it up with a hair dryer or using a tiny amount of acetone on the threads. Apply with a fine spotting brush or a toothpick.
thank you both for the responses... I will try with a small brush (few of the hairs) with the acetone and heat

03-11-2020, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
What is this, If I may ask?

thank you both for the responses... I will try with a small brush (few of the hairs) with the acetone and heat
Methyl Ethyl Ketone. A strong and toxic lacquer thinner. Home depot has it
03-11-2020, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chemically very similar to acetone; but more dangerous to us.
03-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
So acetone it is...

Lighter fluid wont do it then I reckon...

03-12-2020, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could try lighter fuel first, if it's just some dirt/greasy stickiness then that could work. But I don't think lighter fuel dissolves thread locker.
When I got an element stuck at an angle in a tamron 200mm I ended up going heavy duty and put the lens in the oven (worked too)! I would try eg covering the end of the lens with a small leakproof polythene eg ziplock bag and dipping in hot water.
03-12-2020, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #9

Lighter fluid will not dissolve lacquers or thread lock. Lacquers are commonly used as a thread lock as it "breaks" easily enough when you want it to.
03-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Lighter fluid will not dissolve lacquers or thread lock. Lacquers are commonly used as a thread lock as it "breaks" easily enough when you want it to.
You could try lighter fuel first, if it's just some dirt/greasy stickiness then that could work. But I don't think lighter fuel dissolves thread locker.
When I got an element stuck at an angle in a tamron 200mm I ended up going heavy duty and put the lens in the oven (worked too)! I would try eg covering the end of the lens with a small leakproof polythene eg ziplock bag and dipping in hot water.
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
Thanks people!

I will try to hold the lens near my table-top electric over for a few seconds to heat it up, the do acetone if needed.
03-12-2020, 11:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Acetone is good. MEK is illegal in some parts of the US.
03-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I unscrewed the nameplate from my ST 28/3.5 (58mm) by pressing the butt of a small glass against a playtex rubber dishwashing glove placed over the lens. The nameplate unscrewed easily.
03-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I unscrewed the nameplate from my ST 28/3.5 (58mm) by pressing the butt of a small glass against a playtex rubber dishwashing glove placed over the lens. The nameplate unscrewed easily.
I've done this, even with rubber stoppers.

The 135/2.5 is weird - the nameplate rests at a difficult angle; nothing better than spanner to take it out and still does not budge.

I hope heat can do the trick!!!!
03-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The 135/2.5 is weird - the nameplate rests at a difficult angle; nothing better than spanner to take it out and still does not budge.

Let us know if you get it off. We are all waiting with baited breath.
03-12-2020, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The SMC-K 300 has a steep angle on the name plate as well. I used a fruit cup container, with black tape around the edge to add the grip to the ring.

SMC-K 300 f4 Hood Felt Repair - PentaxForums.com

You could try 1-1/2 PVC pipe coupling (schedule 40 around $1 at home depot), with black tape around the end. In case you have access to those items.

Take the lens with you to double check the fit .