Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #1

Servicing Pentax cameras and lens

Hi,

I was considering the Pentax KP, just somehow stumbled upon learning about a few days ago. I love the images I am seeing on this site for it. I contacted my local camera store and the worker there mentioned they did not sell it and he did not know where I would be able to get one serviced. I hadn't considered that.

I surfed the forum and found a post on servicing but the post was in 2009.

I checked Ricoh's website and they reference Precision Cameras, but, outside of warranty, the prices seem very high.

Are there other options?
That would give me peace of mind as I would like to know I could get a camera and lens serviced someplace, if needed.

Thank you and all the best!
Annie

03-14-2020, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes there are- see the list of repair facilities in the sticky in this forum.

That said, there are some things that only Precision can do, as other facilities may not be able to obtain all parts. If you're afraid of repair costs, there are some options, such as buying an extended warranty or getting your more expensive gear second-hand.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2020, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amatula Quote
Hi,

I checked Ricoh's website and they reference Precision Cameras, but, outside of warranty, the prices seem very high.

Annie
I think you will find that for all brands of cameras.

BTW, I have a KP (an excellent camera), it is my 5th digital Pentax since 2009 and I have only twice needed service, both under warranty. I sent my K-50 (bought in 2014) in for a battery hook while under warranty and they also replaced the aperture block even though it worked fine, I still have the K-50 also. The aperture block was a known possible failure on that camera (the KP does not use the same part). Of course my experience with Pentax cameras doesn't mean nothing bad can happen when the warranty runs out, because it can happen with any consumer product. Pentax is not available at many camera stores. B&H, Adorama, or Amazon are probably the main places to buy in the US. Of course, most of us don't have a local camera store around anyway. Closest for me is about 2 hours away. But I'll stick with Pentax since most of my shooting is outdoors, nature and landscape, so having weather resistant gear is pretty much a necessity for me. And the image quality is outstanding. If you get the KP, you will love it.
03-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I think you will find that for all brands of cameras.

BTW, I have a KP (an excellent camera), it is my 5th digital Pentax since 2009 and I have only twice needed service, both under warranty. I sent my K-50 (bought in 2014) in for a battery hook while under warranty and they also replaced the aperture block even though it worked fine, I still have the K-50 also. The aperture block was a known possible failure on that camera (the KP does not use the same part). Of course my experience with Pentax cameras doesn't mean nothing bad can happen when the warranty runs out, because it can happen with any consumer product. Pentax is not available at many camera stores. B&H, Adorama, or Amazon are probably the main places to buy in the US. Of course, most of us don't have a local camera store around anyway. Closest for me is about 2 hours away. But I'll stick with Pentax since most of my shooting is outdoors, nature and landscape, so having weather resistant gear is pretty much a necessity for me. And the image quality is outstanding. If you get the KP, you will love it.
Thank you so much! Yes, I too was thinking B & H; I would see about their warranty too.
All the best!
Annie