Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2020, 08:42 AM   #1

645N jams when advancing film

I have a pretty reliable (unit recently) 645N. It has started to jam as I am shooting and it advances to the next frame. I get the "E" on the display and the camera jams.

Has anyone had this problem? Anyone know where to send it for repair ? BTW it has happened with both of my backs.

Vito

05-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sounds like you can get rid of the "E" but the problem came back, right?

If that is not the case, I recall you can easily solve it by pressing the rewind button at bottom of camera while turning on camera. You may need to press shutter button once after this. It should get rid of the error. I did something like this years ago and the problem never came back.
05-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which film(s) are you experiencing the problem with? There have been various previous reports that some films cause problems related to film advance not seen with other film types.
05-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Which film(s) are you experiencing the problem with? There have been various previous reports that some films cause problems related to film advance not seen with other film types.
Itís happened with a few types. TriX. Ilford. Ektachrome

05-10-2020, 12:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by valvicphoto Quote
I have a pretty reliable (unit recently) 645N. It has started to jam as I am shooting and it advances to the next frame. I get the "E" on the display and the camera jams.
Has anyone had this problem? Anyone know where to send it for repair ? BTW it has happened with both of my backs.
Vito
QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
If that is not the case, I recall you can easily solve it by pressing the rewind button at bottom of camera while turning on camera. You may need to press shutter button once after this. It should get rid of the error. I did something like this years ago and the problem never came back.
Does this happen mid roll or only in the beginning? If it's in the beginning, double check that you are loading the film correctly. One day I had a brain fart and loaded the 120 incorrectly and it jammed.
It can also happen if the film was stored in a cool fridge or freezer and then you don't wait long enough for it to adjust to room temperature. The film and paper will be wet from condensation and stick causing jams.

This has never happened to me, but it has to an ex-student of mine and the problem was a broken or stripped polymer gear (in the camera's advance motor, not in the film back). The last time I had my 645 serviced, Pentax had an authorized facility in Colorado. Hopefully a fellow PF can help us for a current repair shop.

@hyyz: The 645N is a medium format camera. They do not have rewind buttons as the 120/220 film is advanced in one direction from the factory reel to the empty reel from the previous film and removed from the camera without rewinding.
05-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're right - there's no rewind button. It seems it is called "Mid-roll wind-up" button, according to the manual.
05-10-2020, 01:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
So it happens mid-roll. Sometimes after one shot, some times after 10. I have to use the button to wind the rest so I don't lose what I shot. I've had it happen in the beginning but that was me not loading it right, and I just pulled it out and fixed it(tightened it up) and it was fine. It happens with different films and different backs. I think it's the camera.

Vito