Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #16

Original Poster
The lens came back last Friday but I haven't touched my camera in that time. Sigma put the lens on a K3 (I have a K3 II) and performed a calibration. I just now grabbed the focusing chart, tripod, camera, and stepped onto the porch to give it a quick test. Focus was obtained on the first try in full auto. Switch to manual and adjust focus closer / further and it missed focus once. Hmm, full auto. Not sure it was actually focusing on the exact same spot both times so switch to AV, spot focus, and f2.8. Obtain focus, try again and no change. Manually change focus and same results. Did this several times. Change to f3.5 and repeat. f5.6, f8. f11, f22 and there was a total on one adjustment after initial focus was obtained. So I'd say the lens is now working 95% better. Not as well as the newer, more expensive Pentax lenses but well enough that I can't complain. I should have sent it off two years ago...

And last night I realized something embarrassing. I have my own .US and .ME domains so I create email aliases for specific purposes. sigma@my_domain.us and such so I can kill any which get passed off to overly enthusiastic marketing departments. Well, when I emailed Cris Cam I created an actual address, not an alias. So I was checking the main account and it never arrived because I clicked the wrong button. So they replied in 3 hours and I complained they didn't respond. I try to not be a jerk but I guess I occasionally fail.

06-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
Still no email response. Much grumbling. But I thought to call during business hours and spoke to Julio. He's a nice guy who's working from home with screaming kids in the background. You know, what's now the typical support call. No dogs barking so maybe it wasn't so typical.

So he said send it in and they'll calibrate it. Possibly update the firmware. Current turn-around is 7-10 business days which is better than I expected. He said it's not unusual but also not a common problem. So I guess it's going in and we'll see how it comes back. He said the best result would be me sending my camera in with it but I'd hate being without my camera (although I have non-SLR).
Several years ago I got a Tamron 70-200 that needed the mount calibrated, I sent it in and it still did not work, I ended up sending my K-30 with it and it came back perfect.