Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #1

Sigma warranty repairs - who to contact?

Ultimate question: Who can I contact about warranty for a Sigma lens (preferably via email - I like having a record)? Someone who will actually respond to a request (yes, COVID-19 has things moving slow).

More details...

The lens in questions is a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. I've had focus issues all along and made the assumption of it being my fault (assumed I was moving). Obviously it's worst at f/2.8.

Fast forward a couple years... I took a focusing chart (one of those things siting at 45 degrees) and decided to check auto-focus on every lens I own. Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 nailed focus every time but was always soft (no surprise there). Everything else I have, except the 17-50, nailed the focus and was sharp every time although some did require an offset programmed into the camera.

The Sigma issues is it fails to focus correctly on the first try. Try a second time, and it will get focus 80% of the time. The other 20% requires using autofocus 3 times to get it right. All this while on a tripod with a well lit stationary target.

Here's the really irritating part. I sent an email to Sigma on April 30 with a copy of my receipt and an explanation of the issue. On 5/11 I was tired of waiting and sent an email to Cris Cam (authorized warranty center). Still no response to either email. I can't recall if i registered the lens warranty so I half expected "Sorry, you didn't register, you have no warranty" but I'm not even getting that.

I'll probably end up getting the Pentax equivalent and give the Sigma to my dad if I can get it repaired. But to get it repaired, I need someone to actually respond to my request. I should call but I'm busy working during their business hours and forget to call until after they close. Who can I message to actually get a response about Sigma warranty issues?

05-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #2

Seems like Sigma America is the place to start since you're in the US

Service & Support | SIGMA America
05-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Seems like Sigma America is the place to start since you're in the US

Service & Support | SIGMA America
Tried that on April 30 and I'm still waiting for a response. Unless I'm missing something, the form appears to be what's sent in with the lens so I tried emailing info@... First, I want to verify warranty since I can't remember if I registered it. I have no interest in paying shipping if it's not going to be repaired.
05-16-2020, 05:01 PM   #4

Did you read the posted special statement?

QuoteQuote:
our product service and repair operations will be suspended until further notice
There's also an 800 number you can call.

05-16-2020, 07:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
Fast forward a couple years
Unless their warranty is a lot longer than normal, .... I wouldn't count on much from that angle.

I have this lens, and mine focuses fairly quickly, but a few extra focus button pushes do seem to help it home in.
05-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Unless their warranty is a lot longer than normal, .... I wouldn't count on much from that angle.

I have this lens, and mine focuses fairly quickly, but a few extra focus button pushes do seem to help it home in.
4 year warranty so I'm within that time frame.

Yes, it'll focus quickly but not accurately. Didn't realize it until I got out a tripod and focusing chart so I could be certain all lenses were focusing right. Since this is the only one acting this way, I consider it defective. Even the Sigma 150-500mm nails focus on the first try so it's not Sigma lenses as a whole.

---------- Post added 05-17-20 at 04:23 AM ----------

Quote: Our product service and repair operations will be suspended until further notice

I saw their store lobby was closed but missed the repair center being closed. I've been intending to call but my job has been busier since all this started (IT - I've been getting remote workers setup, supporting them, installing servers, plus all the regular stuff - Yes, I'm glad to be busy and still have a paycheck). Assuming I registered it to get the warranty, I don't mind waiting a couple months to send it in. Besides, I haven't needed it since I bought the Pentax 24-70mm f/2.8. Just annoyed at the lack of response from the two companies I contacted.

So, I guess I need to make a point to call Monday to discuss it with them.
05-16-2020, 10:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can't remember if I registered it.
You should be OK as long as you have your sales receipt.
You could always try snail mail.

05-17-2020, 01:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are not required to register the warranty for it to be in effect. The company just makes it sound like you do. As mentioned above, you only need the dated receipt from a legit seller. No one will touch a grey market item. Companies use your info from the registration card for marketing mostly.
05-17-2020, 03:50 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sigma issues is it fails to focus correctly on the first try. Try a second time, and it will get focus 80% of the time. The other 20% requires using autofocus 3 times to get it right. All this while on a tripod with a well lit stationary target.
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I also have this lens. It's excellent optically, but AF accuracy isn't totally reliable. When using it on my K-3, it will sometimes obtain accurate focus on the first focus, but often requires a second cycle to be absolutely spot on, and seems to be a little fussier about the focus target than my OEM glass. As a matter of habit I hit the AF button twice to get more-or-less reliable accuracy, and this is using the centre AF point. I believe it's pretty common behaviour with this lens in K-mount (I've read numerous similar reports) - not a fault, but simply a quirk of its interaction with the camera. Bear in mind, Sigma doesn't pay for licensed access to Pentax protocols when designing lenses... it reverse engineers them.
05-17-2020, 04:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

This is surely the answer as to why no response, they will open eventually, and then there may be delays. As for Cris, I had to deal with them once when Pentax used them, they were not responsive. But maybe they are better now, that was when Pentax was changing repair centers, they lost the business so just ignored it.
05-17-2020, 08:09 AM   #11

Well I just called the 800 number and the recording said the offices are closed and there will be no one to answer calls. Someone will be monitoring email during regular business hours and will respond in a timely fashion. Email is not 100% reliable so I typically wait 10 business days for a response before trying to contact again. My ISP will also quarantine outgoing email on very rare occasions, particularly if there is a suspicious attachment included. So a check of the email quarantine box is also in order.

All service is suspended. Offices, walk-in service in CA and NY is closed.

Sigma America's standard warranty is four years as long as you have the paperwork. Non-transferable so you need to be the original purchaser.
06-03-2020, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Still no email response. Much grumbling. But I thought to call during business hours and spoke to Julio. He's a nice guy who's working from home with screaming kids in the background. You know, what's now the typical support call. No dogs barking so maybe it wasn't so typical.

So he said send it in and they'll calibrate it. Possibly update the firmware. Current turn-around is 7-10 business days which is better than I expected. He said it's not unusual but also not a common problem. So I guess it's going in and we'll see how it comes back. He said the best result would be me sending my camera in with it but I'd hate being without my camera (although I have non-SLR).
06-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #13

Glad you got hold of somebody. Did you tell Julio you got no replies to your emails?
06-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
Glad you got hold of somebody. Did you tell Julio you got no replies to your emails?
I did. He said I should have received a response within 48 hours.

06-12-2020, 07:45 PM   #15

Original Poster
Sigma received the lens yesterday. Today they asked for proof of purchase because the lens needs to be recalibrated which is free under warranty. Although I thought that was included with the initial paperwork, I sent it again.

7-10 business days for repair...