Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2020, 10:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Annoyed: 43 Ltd focus ring stuck

Hello guys

I got this 43 Ltd thatís out of warranty that has a stuck focus ring. It only turns from like 0.8 to 1.2 m.

I am just wondering if itís worthwhile to send it in for a repair? Would the cost of repair exceeds the cost of a new one?

Very annoyed because itís not like I dropped it or anything ....

I have been pretty lucky in that I havenít had any of my Pentax gear that went ape like this.

Anyhow, thank you in advance.

05-29-2020, 10:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have similar problem. My local repairman said, that one of the gears inside broke. It shouldn't be difficult or costly to repair, but he couldn't do it due to lack of necessary parts.

Unfortunately,so far I couldn't reach authorized service because of covid stuff. I will try next week.
05-29-2020, 10:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I see.

Thank you for that.

Is yours a 43 Ltd as well?
05-29-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep. Made in Japan, so rather old specimen.

05-29-2020, 11:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah mine is a made in Japan as well. Maybe we should send ours together for a group discount.
05-29-2020, 11:08 PM   #6
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
maybe it is just one of the little screews inside getting loose and now blocking the focus ring. Had that years ago with my FA31Ltd. Was no big deal to fix.
05-29-2020, 11:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It started out with the barrel feeling “clicky” and then proceeded to jam. I kinda agree with you but I am afraid once taken apart I won’t be able to put it back together. I once took apart FA 50 and didn’t go so well.

---------- Post added 05-30-20 at 03:14 PM ----------

It started out with the barrel feeling ďclickyĒ and then proceeded to jam. I kinda agree with you but I am afraid once taken apart I wonít be able to put it back together. I once took apart FA 50 and didnít go so well.
05-29-2020, 11:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^^ Eric Hendrickson fixed mine for me a couple years ago..VEry early serial MIJ lens so I felt it was worth the money.

05-29-2020, 11:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is he a forum member?
05-30-2020, 02:12 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might be surprised how complicated lenses are. There is a multitude of small parts, many of which can work loose over time, and this is an old lens.

Get it repaired. The FA 43/1.9 Limited is a jewel worth keeping.
05-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the exact same issue with the same lens.

Had a local camera repair store look at it and the issue was a cracked spur gear in the AF mechanism. Unfortunately we couldn't source an official replacement part because there's almost no way to get service parts here in NZ. In the end I had to measure the gear and order a generic brass spur gear (that luckily matched in specs) to replace the broken one.
05-30-2020, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Is he a forum member?
Eric Hendrickson is the USA Forum Members’ (generally) preferred film camera and film era lens techniciam. Some International members have sent Eric rare, old cameras such as AP’s and Asahiflexes. I had him repair one of my FA43/1.9 Limiteds with a similar issue.

He started his career as a Honeywell Pentax repair tech, then continuing under Asahi. For about 15 years he managed their operation, then he started his own company to do the same. He retired about 15 years ago and continues to repair pre-digital 35mm Pentax cameras and lenses. He’s CLA’ed or repaired hundreds of cameras and lenses for Forum Members.

Here’s his website Home-Pentaxs He gives no obligation estimates and returns your item for free if you decline his propossal.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-30-2020 at 01:07 PM.
05-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You might be surprised how complicated lenses are. There is a multitude of small parts, many of which can work loose over time, and this is an old lens.

Get it repaired. The FA 43/1.9 Limited is a jewel worth keeping.
No question it is well worth keeping for sure. Love this lens. In fact if too costly I am willing to buy another copy. But sounds like i can get it fixed up reasonably cheap.

---------- Post added 05-31-20 at 12:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
I had the exact same issue with the same lens.
Beginning to look like this is not an isolated issue with this lens . . .

---------- Post added 05-31-20 at 12:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Eric Hendrickson is the USA Forum Membersí (generally) preferred film camera and film era lens techniciam. Some International members have sent Eric rare, old cameras such as APís and Asahiflexes. I had him repair one of my FA42/1.9 Limiteds with a similar issue.

He started his career as a Honeywell Pentax repair tech, then continuing under Asahi. For about 15 years he managed their operation, then he started his own company to do the same. He retired about 15 years ago and continues to repair pre-digital 35mm Pentax cameras and lenses. Heís CLAíed or repaired hundreds of cameras and lenses for Forum Members.

Hereís his website Home-Pentaxs He gives no obligation estimates and returns your item for free if you decline his propossal.
Thank you for this valuable info!
05-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beginning to look like this is not an isolated issue with this lens . . .
Honestly, reports of issues with Limited lenses are quite unusual considering their age - the early 43’s in paricular. They're all essentially hand-assembled, with care. Occasionally a component breaks or a screw comes loose. That’s about it, and the reported fix is pretty easy. What you (and I) don’t know is how the prior owners treated our lenses. Mine is 0000831, so one of the very earliest made.
Thank you for this valuable info!
I believe Eric can fix your lens.
05-30-2020, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I packed it in the box and shipped off to Eric, thanks to you!

Yeah you are right - I bought it used, and as you say I have no idea of what its past life was like. Came in a box and everything but who knows. I hate to say it but my 77 feels “clicky” too. Well - now know who to send it too.