Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Cleaning debris out of a lens

I’ve got an FA 28-70 with... something in it. Whatever it is is towards the front elements and doesn’t turn up in photos, but whatever it is, I want it the eff gone out of my lens. I took it to my local camera shop, but they do and don’t service Pentax. They do if you’re brining in a K, M, or maybe A (I haven’t tried it with an A), but the owner said my FA was too new (they said they don’t have the proper calibration software). I looked at KEH, but unless I’m mistaken their minimum pricing of my particular zoom starts at just over $300. I respect workmanship and being a craftsman, but I don’t see there being $300 worth of work here.

Any suggestions of where to take it/send it would much appreciated. I’m a Michigan-based Pentaxian, and am not opposed to driving somewhere local-ish (2-hr drive). I’d prefer not to mail it, but begrudgingly will if I have to.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-02-2021 at 10:09 AM.
07-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Thought you might find this interesting.
Lens Rentals | Blog
Removing a Fly

They had to go from the back. It might be as easy as removing the front element on your lens.
07-23-2020, 08:32 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bikehead90 Quote
I’ve got an FA 28-70
Is it FA* 28-70/2.8 or FA 28-70/4.0?

Steve
07-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
I stand corrected. That is most definitely a lot of work to tear down the lens. Maybe I’ll just have to live with it.

---------- Post added 07-23-20 at 08:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is it FA* 28-70/2.8 or FA 28-70/4.0?

Steve
It’s the FA*

07-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bikehead90 Quote
I stand corrected. That is most definitely a lot of work to tear down the lens. Maybe I’ll just have to live with it.

---------- Post added 07-23-20 at 08:36 PM ----------

It’s the FA*
That explains the high quote from KEH (they work flat rate).

Steve
07-24-2020, 01:33 AM   #6

I once had the FA* 28-70mm f2.8. When I purchased the lens it had a damaged auto-focusing motor, so I paid very little for the lens (about $ 100) My repairman managed to source a new replacement motor from Pentax in Japan. He disassembled the lens, replaced the AF motor and performed a complete CLA on the lens. I paid the equivalent to $ 500,- for the repair. When seeing the images the lens produced I felt that it was money well spent. It is a great lens.
07-24-2020, 03:32 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and knowledge here

follow the link to find active links to possible repair people:

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)
Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

I was pleased with the work done by Phototronic on my separated 150-450mm

http://www.phototronictopeka.com/

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-24-2020 at 04:36 PM.
07-24-2020, 03:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

Eric Hendrickson at pentaxs.com serviced an F series lens for me a little over a year ago. He is regarded as the highest authority on repair and service of classic Pentax equipment. You can contact him for a consultation.
Phototronic is also very good. They have serviced both Pentax and non-Pentax gear for me.

Thanks,
07-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

Eric Hendrickson at pentaxs.com serviced an F series lens for me a little over a year ago. He is regarded as the highest authority on repair and service of classic Pentax equipment. You can contact him for a consultation.
Phototronic is also very good. They have serviced both Pentax and non-Pentax gear for me.

Thanks,
I’ve heard of his reputation. I looked on his site, and it seemed like he did body work (which I might send my MX for), but I’ll reach out to him for a quote on the lens. Thanks!