Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2020, 08:12 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Komaflex S CLA/repair - any suggestions?

While not a Pentax camera, I hope the friendly folks here can lend a hand.
I have a Komaflex S. It is a leaf shutter single lens reflex using 127 roll film. It sports a sharp 4 element f2.8 lens, automatic diaphragm, auto film stop - set the first frame with a red window - and very nice handling. Super slides from127 film are spectacular
My example needs at a minimum a CLA. Many years ago the diaphragm refused to stop down: Instant overexposure! Even with the small selection of 127 film and the exorbitant prices I'd still like to put this shelf queen back to work.
A shop which had done an excellent job on my WerraMatic said he refuses to work on the Komaflex S. Any suggestions for a good shop?

08-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As a loooong time bench tech shop owner, You’ve been given an honest answer from a tech you believe. The time spent fiddling with that beast is not a pleasant thought. Myself, same thought on my original Ricohflex with 35mm adapter.... it’s on the shelf as I’m not a masochist.

08-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Camera Rescue
08-07-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Leaf shutter SLRs are a nightmare for repairs. With spare parts nonexistent for most, there's not much for the repair tech to work with.

The Zeiss Contaflex series of cameras apparently sold well back in the day, given the large number of them I see. However, pretty much none of them work properly any more - despite looking like they work. Most often the leaf shutter fails to close in that instant before the mirror rises. When the mirror's up, it goes through the motions and closes finally. But the end result will be overexposure.

The thing is the springs that snap the shutter shut before re-opening get weak and sticky. I've serviced them to get them working, only to see them fail again after a month or two. New parts would be needed.

The reason your tech won't touch the Komaflex is simple. To get it working reliably new parts would be needed, but aren't available. Fiddling with the existing parts will take three days on the bench, for which he'll only want to bill you for one day. And six months later, there's a good chance it will be faulty again.

08-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Ontarian50. If you find a technician into self abuse the repair might not last long anyway.