Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
I don’t want to hijack this thread, but it’s the most recent shutter stuck issue and I didn’t want to repeat the same question. My K-01 started getting a stuck shutter about a month ago. I was able to relieve it by turning off and turning back on the camera. Then it started happening more and more often. Finally, it got stuck and I couldn’t get it back open. I tried a new battery and that gave me a few more minutes of use before it got stuck again and now no new battery will make it work again.

I haven’t found this answer anywhere else: Has anyone actually gotten this repaired yet and know the cost? I will probably cut my loses and sell cheap for parts. It’s full-spectrum converted so it could be worth it to someone, but I’m kinda done with the possibility of it happening again.

Sad day But fun while it worked
Hi Snappy,

I think it's worth to send the camera to Precision Camera in CT, specially because it's a converted camera. I have the same problem with my Bumblebee, but still works, and definitely will get repaired just for the look of it.
I have checked the estimated cost of getting it fixed on their web page and it comes at 202 USD, shipping included. That's less than a full-spectrum conversion.

Precision Camera - Repair Quote

06-22-2021, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Hi Snappy,

I think it's worth to send the camera to Precision Camera in CT, specially because it's a converted camera. I have the same problem with my Bumblebee, but still works, and definitely will get repaired just for the look of it.
I have checked the estimated cost of getting it fixed on their web page and it comes at 202 USD, shipping included. That's less than a full-spectrum conversion.

Precision Camera - Repair Quote
I had seen that, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was very accurate seeing that they don't offer a place for you to specify what the exact problem is - just what the camera is! Surely some repairs must be more expensive than others. Or maybe they average it out. Was curious if anyone actually did it and had an accurate example.

I think $200 could be worth it, like you said, because it is converted. Otherwise that's the price of a used K-01 nowadays. I did email a few other places to get their quotes. If I end up going that route I'll try to remember to come back here and update for future benefit
06-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
I had seen that, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was very accurate seeing that they don't offer a place for you to specify what the exact problem is - just what the camera is! Surely some repairs must be more expensive than others. Or maybe they average it out. Was curious if anyone actually did it and had an accurate example.

I think $200 could be worth it, like you said, because it is converted. Otherwise that's the price of a used K-01 nowadays. I did email a few other places to get their quotes. If I end up going that route I'll try to remember to come back here and update for future benefit
You're welcome. You're right, it's vague. Hopefully someone with experience will read this thread and comment.
Please, let us know any update. It will be very helpful, at least to me
08-24-2021, 12:27 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Any new insights if this shutter stuck is repairable?

Just interested... My K-01 still has a stucked shutter. When I am trying hard with new batteries, lens on, lens off it sometimes exposures a single time but it is nearby dead. The aperture mechanism works fine, so nothing wrong with the stepper motor. Most likely one of the two shutter solenoids stopped working.

My KP is a decent replacement but I still am a bit addicted to the looks of this white K-01...

08-24-2021, 07:06 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only solution is get a repair or possibly buy a used replacement on services like eBay. There are still K-01s being offered there from time to time. The latter option may cost less than a repair.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Pentax-K-01/31388/bn_7023428353
08-24-2021, 02:09 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I would risk a aftermarket battery, I can't remember if the K-01 can be driven by an external Powersupply as the K5 or K3.
If so and if Hirose connected, it would fit your KP as well.
No need to buy the original expensive Pentaxversion, here the aftermarket units are as good.

The K-01 doesn't have a power jack. It used a similar system as implemented in the K-70, with a "dummy" battery and a fly-lead. The problem seems to be that the "dummy" DLi90 is virtually unobtainable
08-24-2021, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I'll just pop back in here to update my K-01 shutter stuck problem. After contacting a couple places, I found the repair either not accepted to be worked on or more expensive than I wanted to pay. I found someone online who could do the repair themselves and sold the camera to them to help fund a new one. Mine was full-spectrum modified so it may have been worth the repair, but I would think if yours is not that it isn't worth the cost to repair, as they are so inexpensive these days. Good luck with whatever you do and sorry you hit the same problem. It's very sad

08-24-2021, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Henrico Quote
Just interested... My K-01 still has a stucked shutter. When I am trying hard with new batteries, lens on, lens off it sometimes exposures a single time but it is nearby dead. The aperture mechanism works fine, so nothing wrong with the stepper motor. Most likely one of the two shutter solenoids stopped working.

My KP is a decent replacement but I still am a bit addicted to the looks of this white K-01...
I liked the look of the K-01 but I find a K-S1 in a special colour ... although a very different look... looks great as well.
Of course a matter of taste.
But as I disassembled a K-01 recently I was surprised to find out that the complete body is plastic fantastic as well.

For me there is no question, the K-S1 is superior in any respect. Nevertheless the 16MP-sensor in the K-01 has its magic.
01-07-2022, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My K-01 is reborn, maybe this is the trick to get it working again...

Because of another thread here about the same issue I unboxed my stucked K-01 to see if miracles exist... I put a battery in it, put it on, entered the right date and tried. Nope, shutter still stucked, no action at all, black screen...

But then I got a brainwave, while leaving the camera on, I took the battery out, putted it back and started the camera again. Pretty rude, but now it works as before

This might be coincidental, good luck, but maybe this is the trick to get your failed K-01 alive again.

Let us know if this works at yours also...
01-07-2022, 08:23 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So leaving it on and inserting the battery did the trick.
How strange but how wonderful!

This wave within the brain... ???
which flash do you use

Last edited by photogem; 01-08-2022 at 02:59 AM.
01-23-2022, 01:25 PM   #26

k-01 stuck shutter

I seem to have a similar issue with my k-01. It was sticking this summer, and now will not open at all even with a full battery. Has any one sent theirs to precision camera to have it repaired? Has anyone been successful in retiring it their self? I only have approximately 8k shots on the shutter so this is somewhat disappointing
01-23-2022, 04:41 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mine had 12k counts, the bug seems not count related but time related. My interpretation is the issue is caused by a solenoid used in the shutter mechanism, it is different from the aperture stuck often reported here. Pentax in France is not repairing K-01 anymore. So far as I know nobody tried to repair it itself, to get access to the shutter seems to be difficult. I hope someone will be successful to fix it, and shares the way to do it here.
01-27-2022, 12:12 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Henrico Quote
Mine had 12k counts, the bug seems not count related but time related. My interpretation is the issue is caused by a solenoid used in the shutter mechanism, it is different from the aperture stuck often reported here. Pentax in France is not repairing K-01 anymore. So far as I know nobody tried to repair it itself, to get access to the shutter seems to be difficult. I hope someone will be successful to fix it, and shares the way to do it here.
To get access to the shutter itself and the motor + the two solenoids means complete disassembly. Usually it is the motor itself, the solenoids are strong but of course could become faulty as well. But this is rare.
Best to sell it for parts.
02-24-2022, 12:30 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all,

My K-01 (bumblebee) started having this issue a few months ago. I would turn it on and the shutter would not open. Like many of you, if I would turn it off and then back on again it would start working again. The issue got more and more frequent until one day last week it just stayed stuck. No matter how many times I turned it off and back on, nothing. I tried all of the suggestions in this thread and was starting to lose hope when I decided to try something different. I removed the lens and manually moved the shutter with a precision screwdriver to make sure that it would indeed move. Once I had confirmed that there wasn't something physically holding it closed, set the camera on my desk and turned it on without a lens attached. The first time the first focal plane shutter moved, but the second focal plane didn't move. The second time, the second focal plane moved as well as the first and the sensor could be seen. I continued to turn the camera on and off until both focal planes consistently opened and stayed open (5 or 6 times). Now the camera is working as before. I am currently recharging the battery and will be taking it out for test shoot this afternoon. I'll report back with my progress in a few days.

Ray
02-28-2022, 05:30 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Maybe your K-01 is not in the final stage of dying, mine is so it seems. I tried what you did, I also can open the shutter manually but it refuses to open by the shutter mechanism. But I keep mine stored waiting someone has the panacea to revive it