Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2022, 02:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Henrico I am so sorry to hear that your K-01 continues to have the shutter issue. Mine is working fine now. I have taken it out several times since my last post and it continues to work as it is supposed to.

03-12-2022, 08:42 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try this methord as well. No luck :-( I did buy another one but it is black and I like my white one.
07-28-2022, 08:10 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
I don’t want to hijack this thread, but it’s the most recent shutter stuck issue and I didn’t want to repeat the same question. My K-01 started getting a stuck shutter about a month ago. I was able to relieve it by turning off and turning back on the camera. Then it started happening more and more often. Finally, it got stuck and I couldn’t get it back open. I tried a new battery and that gave me a few more minutes of use before it got stuck again and now no new battery will make it work again.

I haven’t found this answer anywhere else: Has anyone actually gotten this repaired yet and know the cost? I will probably cut my loses and sell cheap for parts. It’s full-spectrum converted so it could be worth it to someone, but I’m kinda done with the possibility of it happening again.

Sad day But fun while it worked
i have the exact same problem - everything works except the shutter wont go up after starting the camera up. The camera still records video tho so i have a crazy idea - can the camera work without the mechanical shutter as a fully dedicated video camera???
08-01-2022, 04:10 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chaxdaman Quote
i have the exact same problem - everything works except the shutter wont go up after starting the camera up. The camera still records video tho so i have a crazy idea - can the camera work without the mechanical shutter as a fully dedicated video camera???
If the K-01 records video the shutter must be up then (during recording).

Otherwise how would the information reach the sensor?

08-01-2022, 07:20 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
If the K-01 records video the shutter must be up then (during recording).

Otherwise how would the information reach the sensor?
The camera records information - it's just that the shutter curtain couldnt go up so the screen is all black - but it records everything even audio
08-01-2022, 11:08 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The camera records information - it's just that the shutter curtain couldnt go up so the screen is all black - but it records everything even audio
O.K. my misunderstanding.
08-03-2022, 06:25 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was researching this problem while considering purchasing a stuck-shutter k-01 and came across a post on another site where some people had luck removing the battery while the camera was on. Could be worth a try.

08-04-2022, 03:07 AM   #38

OK, now I also have a K-01 with this shutter stock problem.. very sad. I cant find any solution in the net but now watching this thread and hope someday find a solution or at least the cause of this problem.
08-04-2022, 04:55 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GS089 Quote
OK, now I also have a K-01 with this shutter stock problem.. very sad. I cant find any solution in the net but now watching this thread and hope someday find a solution or at least the cause of this problem.
If the said tricks won't work, it most likely is one or two of those solenoids which keep the shutter open.
See this thread:
Both my K-01s have stucked shutters - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
A stuck shutter means it can't be lifted up anymore.

To lift and hold them in position is the task of those 2 solenoids.
08-04-2022, 05:17 AM   #40

Thanks for that link, interesting. I have some electronic and mechanical skills, but nobody has ever replaced that solenoids, right? And nobody knows where to get these, right? So... very sad, it's not my own K-01 (I also have one), it's the one of a friend and she is very sad now... hope someone has the energy to investigate more.. I just cant.

Thanks a lot.
08-04-2022, 06:28 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GS089 Quote
Thanks for that link, interesting. I have some electronic and mechanical skills, but nobody has ever replaced that solenoids, right? And nobody knows where to get these, right? So... very sad, it's not my own K-01 (I also have one), it's the one of a friend and she is very sad now... hope someone has the energy to investigate more.. I just cant.

Thanks a lot.
I know how to get there, but I'd avoid it like hell!
It is pretty similar as with the K30 for which we have the service manual:
Pentax K-30 Service Manual + Parts-List - PentaxForums.com

and here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/444993-pentax-k-01-disas...ml#post5605424

Last edited by photogem; 08-04-2022 at 07:35 AM.
08-04-2022, 07:37 AM   #42

okay since this thread is alive again, let me share how my K01 broke:

it started when i noticed my pictures were always overexposed. no matter which shutter speed i set, there will always be blurred movement like the picture was captured in slow shutter, almost like at 1/3 speed.

the shutter was stuck up, and open. even when i turn the camera off, shutter remained stuck. so when i capture, the sensor records the scene for 1/3 second, then expects the shutter to move at the set speed, say 1/125, to get a 1/125 speed picture. but since the shutter is stuck open, the scene is recorded at 1/3 second still.

after several tries a small black metal came off, around a third inch long strip of metal. it probably came from the shutter curtain breaking down.

now the shutter is stuck DOWN. nothing would bring it up. i tried everything i could google. nothing. i think the mechanical curtain broke down. i can pull the curtain up with a pin, without a lens.

the camera is fine except the shutter is down. it can record pictures and videos, just in black. that's why i want to find out if we can just remove the shutter curtain all the way, instead of going through the trouble of finding a replacement part. but this way the camera will only function as a video K01 - which is fine with me. id rather have a part of the camera working than nothing at all.
09-04-2023, 10:00 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same here

I really like the K-01 for tabletop photography. It doesn't take up a lot of room and the ability to use a wide variety of macro and zoom lenses I already own makes it vastly superior to any of the current D-milcs available today. I especially like the fact that I don't have to buy a whole truckload of expensive, new lenses that only fit one camera as is the case with every other D-milc on the market today.

Live view is extremely useful for for tabletop work. I don't have to twist my neck to weird positions to peep through the viewfinder and the focus assist is very easy to see on the large display.

I have narrowed down the problem to aging batteries that the K-01 is more sensitive to than any of my other Pentax cameras. As soon as the camera misfires, a quick check of the screen confirms that the first segment of the battery-charge status indicator is about to switch off (or already has). By the time the battery icon changes from green to yellow, the shutter hangs after every shot.

I have also found that some lenses deplete the battery more quickly than others (focus-hunting by big, heavy screwdriver lenses, mostly). Using the flash will also accelerate the appearance of the shutter issue.

A solution

Swapping in a fully charged battery ALWAYS restores proper operation... at least for a while. I always keep one on hand.

I have found that Kastar batteries give me the most images before the malfunction begins. Manual focus (which is a boon for tabletop/macro work anyway) helps a lot to delay the problem. Reducing the screen backlight brightness a notch or two will also noticeably postpone the onset of the dreaded shutter hang. Newer Pentax lenses with internal focus motors and electronic diaphragm actuation almost completely eliminate the issue.

I believe the problem is caused by aging resistors in the circuitry, which are changing value beyond the design tolerance limits, which causes the shutter drivers to pass insufficient current to the shutter actuation mechanism. Other possibilities are: the accumulation of dirt, or the aging of any lubricant material (including Teflon™ parts), or wear of the same (although it is very unlikely to have wear issues at only 4,000 cycles).

Off-topic rant follows:

I love my K-01, and I wish Pentax would produce a new D-MILC model made to today's Pentax DSLR standards (K70/Kf), and maybe even a mirrorless full-frame to leverage even more of our beloved and renowned Pentax glass. Both should have the flip screen found on the K-S2/K-70/Kf, possibly with the touch-screen functionality and the menu style of the K3iii.

And Ricoh, don't cheap out! Make the new camera a tool marketed for professionals and advanced prosumers. The big, heavy Nikon Z series is the target. I'd gladly sell my eyeteeth to pay K-3iii money for such a beast if it would mount and work with all my prized Pentax lenses! (And keep the K-0# numbering scheme for the MILCs. K-02 full frame and K-03 APS-C makes perfect sense.)

09-07-2023, 12:50 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shupienis Quote
And Ricoh, don't cheap out! Make the new camera a tool marketed for professionals and advanced prosumers. The big, heavy Nikon Z series is the target. I'd gladly sell my eyeteeth to pay K-3iii money for such a beast if it would mount and work with all my prized Pentax lenses! (And keep the K-0# numbering scheme for the MILCs. K-02 full frame and K-03 APS-C makes perfect sense.)
I hope they do, but fear they won't... K2 for FF K-mount MILC and K4 for K-mount MILC APSC would be more logical. K1 and K3 remain DSLR-series. But a boost in investments and marketing will be needed to make a success of it. Not only in cameras but also in lenses. I would buy such a K2 for about 3k in a minute when it offers A/Z/R functionality.