Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-01 shutter stuck

Unfortunally my K-01 shutter mechanism starts stucking. It shows all symptoms of the solenoid issue.

The K-01 is same generation camera as the K-30, but seldom mentioned for the Chinese "green" solenoid issues because it seems to use a different mechanism.

Has anybody experienced this issue also at a K-01 and is it reparable?

09-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #2
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Henrico,

Problem that affects many reflex cameras, however before raising the white flag, read this post of 'Photogem'.

Detection of aperture block failure on Pentax DLSRs with solenoid

Do not give up, Mario
09-23-2020, 04:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
After the K20D all Pentax semi-professional bodies had no more solenoid but a stepper-motor which hardly ever breaks! It seems the K-01 does not have the green solenoid but has a stepper-motor.

Is that really the case, and so, is that the part that has to be replaced?

disassembled pentax K-01 - Google Zoeken
09-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Does K-01 has a green solenoid aperture control?

I think my last reply did not made my point; my K-01 shows symptoms os the solenoid aperture stuck, but it seems not to have one...

To fix it, should I replace the stepper motor ?

Has anyone ever disassembled a K-01 ?

10-06-2020, 12:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-01 has the stepper-motor:
https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/519/765/032.jpg
which is from this side:
????????????????????????K-01?????? - ???? Watch Watch
and partly disassembled:
Pentax K-01 LCD Repair/Disassembly - Album on Imgur
PENTAX K-01 DISASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS Pdf Download | ManualsLib

The stepper-motor you can get here:
Pentax 77240-0G200 Diaphragm Control Block K-5 K-7 | USCamera PartsUSCamera

I would first open the K-01 though and check if it is really the motor not working.
10-06-2020, 05:24 AM   #6
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Henrico Quote
I think my last reply did not made my point; my K-01 shows symptoms os the solenoid aperture stuck, but it seems not to have one...

To fix it, should I replace the stepper motor ?

Has anyone ever disassembled a K-01 ?
What symptoms are you talking about?

Have you watched aperture while you take a photo?

Have you tried camera with lens that allows you to set aperture using aperture ring?
10-06-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thnx photogem, very helpfull sites. Problem on my K-01 is that the mechanism that has to shut down the aperture seems to be lame. I can move it up and down with my finger without giving much resistance. Totally different with my K1. Putting on a lens on it (M-lens or XS-lens) results in an unfinished aperture cycle, the aperture pin of those lenses causes too much resistance and also the shutter is not fulfilling its cycle because of that. Shooting without a lens on it works fine, the pin has no work to do, the shutter works fine and snappy. So for sure it has to do with the electric aperture mechanism that feels lame. Something inside is broken or the stepper motor does not function anymore.

When I have the guts, and am in a relaxed mood, I will open my camera to inspect whats wrong with it. Or maybe I will bring it to a local repair shop with the gathered information here, very helpfull those disassembly instructions.. Thnx!
10-06-2020, 11:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing you can do is to reset the camera.

It might be useless but it is worth a try which doesn't cost you anything.
How high is the shuttercount?
If very high, then think about a K-S1 as replacement. It might turn out cheaper, K-S1's can be found sometimes for little money when the aperture is stuck, which is the solenoid.
Then you check the tutorial I wrote about how to replace it, it is easy and hardy anything can go wrong.

I had the K-01 and liked it for its design but as my wife has 2 x the K-S1 and I use it occasionally I find it truly better.
I would not invest in a damaged K-01.

10-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Shutter count is 15k, not that much...

I like the K-01 for the looks and because it's the only mirrorless camera with full K-support. I use it most with the small M-lenses (20, 28, 35, 50, 85, 100, 135 and 200 mm's). Those lenses are small and perform real good on the smaller APS-C format. My K-lenses found home on my K-1ii. The K-equivalents often perform better on full frame simply because there is more glass in it. The M-lenses have great looks on my white K-01, and a glued a "Hoodman Pro" on it to make manual focussing spot on with the 6x magnify function. So I like my K-01 a lot, I certainly will try to fix it.
10-07-2020, 12:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then: A damaged K7 or K5 has the same motor in it!
Very rare that the motor goes wrong.

It is not that difficult to disassemble and first find out if there is just something else stuck.

If you google "pentax K 01 shutterproblem" you might find more.

Last edited by photogem; 10-07-2020 at 06:53 AM.
10-07-2020, 04:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thnx photogem, I better first assess what's wrong inside the camera...