Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA 300 F4 autofocus not working

Ughh I bought new a few years ago - heck maybe 5 if I think about it. A 300DA f4 lens. I didn’t use it a lot for a long time. I noticed the autofocus was wonky but didn’t think was a big deal. Well now the autofocus doesn’t work at all. I tried on another camera and sure enough it’s not the body it’s the lens for sure. Wasn’t there a recall at one point or did I make that up. So now what do I do? Anyone have this happen and or get it repaired or do I have to live with manual focus on it forever? Thanks in advance

10-12-2020, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear this. My DA*300 is still going strong, and failures of its SDM appear to be less common than with the notorious DA*16-50 and DA*50-135.

To address your questions:
There was no recall.
The SDM can be repaired/replaced at a cost to you. For such a fine lens I think this might be worth considering.
If you have some confidence with computers, you can edit the EEPROM file in the lens to force it to operate as a screw drive lens. Or you can send it to @UncleVanya who can do it for you at a nominal price.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 10-12-2020 at 03:26 PM.
10-12-2020, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

One thing to add: motors in newer production runs of this lens (~2014+) are more reliable, but despite that, with the first-generation SDM technology it's a good idea to regularly power up the lens to minimize the risk of a full failure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Sorry to hear this. My DA*300 is still going strong, and failures of its SDM appear to be less common than with the notorious DA*16-50 and DA*50-135.

To address your questions:
There was no recall.
The SDM can be repaired/replaced at a cost to you. For such a fine lens I think this might be worth considering.
If you have some confidence with computers, you can edit the EEPROM file in the lens to force it to operate as a screw drive lens. Or you can send it to @UncleVanya who can do it for you at a nominal price.
Thank you - I have not been on this forum for a long while but I know I can always come with my Pentax questions. I love the lens so for sure will get repaired. My next question who is UncleVanya?

10-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He's our resident SDM conversion guru. He'll spot this thread soon and introduce himself.
10-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sweet so converting I assume is way less $$ then repairing the SDM
10-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Sweet so converting I assume is way less $$ then repairing the SDM
If you do it yourself it will cost nothing. You just need access to a compatible older camera body to access the debug menu, and a computer capable of editing basic text files.
I have used a K10D (borrowed from a mate) on two separate occasions.
The thread I linked is long, but the all the information you need is there.

10-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there a warranty anywhwere to cover this.
10-12-2020, 06:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure that the autofocus button is in the correct position, they can stick between auto and manual.

No idea if it will help, but you might manually exercise the focus ring to see if that helps at all.
10-12-2020, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you - I have not been on this forum for a long while but I know I can always come with my Pentax questions. I love the lens so for sure will get repaired. My next question who is UncleVanya?
That would be me. I offer a conversion service. My thread in the marketplace is located here: SDM to Screwdrive Conversions - PentaxForums.com

If you just need advice the thread Sandy posted is a great choice. Essentially you get the camera into a debug mode, extract the lens room file and edit it and put it back. This makes the lens lie. Which is good thing in this case.
10-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That would be me. I offer a conversion service. My thread in the marketplace is located here: SDM to Screwdrive Conversions - PentaxForums.com

If you just need advice the thread Sandy posted is a great choice. Essentially you get the camera into a debug mode, extract the lens room file and edit it and put it back. This makes the lens lie. Which is good thing in this case.
Thanks for checking in. I just watched the video. I have a K10 and K5 K3ii and a Mac not a PC - I assume that video would be still good if using a Mac?
10-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for checking in. I just watched the video. I have a K10 and K5 K3ii and a Mac not a PC - I assume that video would be still good if using a Mac?
The only issue I've seen is that some mac users have had trouble with the editing.
10-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The only issue I've seen is that some mac users have had trouble with the editing.
Maybe could borrow a friends pc - all the links still good? On a newer pc what would I edit the file with. I’m going to watch that video again it looks relatively painless. Assume can use the lens on any body since it’s editing the lens file correct? Meaning is use older body to do this could then use on my K3ii

---------- Post added 10-12-20 at 09:24 PM ----------

Any MAC users do this? Any advise on editing the file or the process?
10-12-2020, 07:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Maybe could borrow a friends pc - all the links still good? On a newer pc what would I edit the file with. I’m going to watch that video again it looks relatively painless. Assume can use the lens on any body since it’s editing the lens file correct? Meaning is use older body to do this could then use on my K3ii

The conversion process is really easy and should work on any body. On pc you use notepad and just change a few numbers around. My converted da300 works great and isn't even all that loud.
10-12-2020, 07:53 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It works on a mac, just be sure the editor doesn't add formatting. A plain text editor is needed.

3 Best Alternatives to Notepad++ Text Editor for Mac OS X