Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #1

Sent my Pentax 60mm to 250mm in for repair and it now does not focus correctly.

I sent my 60mm to 250mm into Precision for repair ,including replacing the SDM unit, the autofocus test and calibration, and now the lens will not focus to infinity. Has anyone had similar issue with this? And how has your experience been with precision handling this?

10-24-2020, 10:08 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They warranty their repairs. Have you contacted them?

Steve
10-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserwille Quote
I sent my 60mm to 250mm into Precision for repair ,including replacing the SDM unit, the autofocus test and calibration, and now the lens will not focus to infinity. Has anyone had similar issue with this? And how has your experience been with precision handling this?
Before you send it back, have you checked the AF focus adjustment? Will it infinity focus using manual focus?
The 60-250 is the most deficient lens I have ever used. The optics are good, but the mechanical reliability take it from the * designation it has to garbage third party status.
10-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Before you send it back, have you checked the AF focus adjustment? Will it infinity focus using manual focus?
The 60-250 is the most deficient lens I have ever used. The optics are good, but the mechanical reliability take it from the * designation it has to garbage third party status.
Before it broke the infinity focus worked just fine.

10-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Before it broke the infinity focus worked just fine.
Before it broke, I'm sure unicorns were dancing on your front lawn.
This isn't then. Deal with what you have now.

The question was: will it focus to infinity manually? If it will, it might be a simple case of using AF fine tuning to correct back focus.
If it won't, then its time to send it back to the repair depot.
Sadly, my experience with this lens was not good, with repeated failures of the autofocus, and very slow AF when it was working, which wasn't often.
10-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
I can’t get it to infinity focus manually or with the screw drive using my old film autofocus camera, so back to precision it goes.
10-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I can’t get it to infinity focus manually or with the screw drive using my old film autofocus camera, so back to precision it goes.
That's unfortunate. I had something similar happen, albeit in reverse with an FA 50/1.4. It wouldn't quite infinity focus from the factory, something I hadn't ever noticed, but the guy who bought it from me picked up on it right away.
I had it repaired and sent back to the fellow, but I didn't think it was quite as sharp when I got it back from repair.
Not that its a super sharp lens anyway, but the repair had definitely taken what little edge it had away.

11-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #8

Many years ago I was a repair dealer for Kodak slide projectors. My work was good. I guaranteed it for a year even when Kodak would offer 90 days. My reputation was my bread and butter. If you are not satisfied with the repair please contact the company. Techs want to make things better and if you approach them with a cooperative attitude you should end up with what you need.