Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2020, 11:11 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

I routinely repair cameras and or have a tech do it. I see me as a curator and only temporary owner, a steward of the items. No more.

For me yes I would repair but as ever your mileage may vary.

11-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I live near the sea and corrosion can rear its ugly head in the most perplexing places. I do everything I can to keep my film cameras in top shape. The ME super is no slouch, It is worth repairing.
11-06-2020, 06:01 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joelbolden Quote
The ME Supers appear to be a rather fragile design. I had two of them, and neither lasted long. I listed them for parts. There are more robust designs out there. I've been using a Super Program(among other Pentax's) that I paid $36.00 for and have gone through several rolls of film with no problem.
I have one that works and it's my goto 35mm.

It did malfunction and was down for a while. The mirror lockup got jammed. I was able to, after finding out where the issue was, get it unjammed with some clean, inspect, and lubricate (CIL love), and then pushing the advance lever over to it's stop a few times. I cycled it through the advance-cock-fire cycle a few times more and it has worked like a champ since.

The ME Supers themselves do seem to be finicky, and no where near the robust nature of the K Series. I accidently dropped a K-1000 into a slushy Lake Michigan during winter, the film developed and the camera survives to this day in the possession of the friend I sold it to.
11-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I repaired my own Me Super myself with the guide provided on the forum, which is a step by step guide. It is fairly hard to do so and its a process that requires a lot of concentration and staying organized. I can only speak for myself when I say that hearing the mirror slap again war worth all the trouble. Of course you can buy another one for few bucks but what tells you it wont get stuck after a roll or two. At least you throw in some mileage to go in the camera you repair.

11-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
I have used ME Supers (I have two) since the early '80s. I had them serviced 2 years ago for the first time! I have found them to be very reliable, durable, and worth the small repair cost. The ME Supers are compact, have a bright viewfinder, and I enjoy the aperture priority. I include a link to a great repairman. Many on the Forum know him.
Home-Pentaxs

Herb Green
11-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #21

Original Poster
The two broken ME Supers I have are broken in the electronics. If I could find a replacement board, believe me, it would have been done, at least to one of them.
11-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife's first camera was the ME super she bought in the late 80's. Never ever gave her a problem and it still works just fine today though it does need new seals before running film through it again. Never been cla'd.

I did pick up a second body so she could run b&w on one, color on the other. The second body does have an advancing problem, but from what I can tell, that is mechanical. Electronics work just fine.

11-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #23

Original Poster
My back up 35mm is either the ZX-M or the K1000. I'll probably sell the ZX-M with a kit lens and a bag though. It's a great beginner's camera, but I prefer the ME Super and I will not part with my K1000.

---------- Post added 11-06-20 at 12:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
I routinely repair cameras and or have a tech do it. I see me as a curator and only temporary owner, a steward of the items. No more.

For me yes I would repair but as ever your mileage may vary.

I can relate to this. So many cameras pass through my house at any given time. I find deals, make minor repairs, bundle them with lenses I've found and on to ebay they go. I want to start reviewing them.
11-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is it worth repairing broken ME Supers?

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I could be reading the page wrong but for the ME Super it only lists mechanical fixes, not electronic - except for a fix to the leds not being stable, which suggests a contact issue.

These are simple solid cameras. Start by really cleaning both battery contacts, shiny clean. If it’s jammed, many times a flick of the second curtain and it will clear

What leads you to needing parts? Water damage, or impact?

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-07-2020, 05:56 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
These are simple solid cameras. Start by really cleaning both battery contacts, shiny clean. If it’s jammed, many times a flick of the second curtain and it will clear

What leads you to needing parts? Water damage, or impact?

Hang up and DRIVE!
On one there is a visible but repaired crack on the top by the viewfinder prism. The other, don't know. It only works in 1/125 or b, and the light meter lights up but doesn't function. It will fire though.
11-07-2020, 06:09 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A classic film camera worth fixing if you plan on exercising it. I thought about getting my old Super Program fixed.
11-07-2020, 06:13 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
A classic film camera worth fixing if you plan on exercising it. I thought about getting my old Super Program fixed.
Agreed. Or at least having a spare. I hate having a whole bunch of broken crap hanging around.
11-07-2020, 06:44 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jkobler Quote
On one there is a visible but repaired crack on the top by the viewfinder prism. The other, don't know. It only works in 1/125 or b, and the light meter lights up but doesn't function. It will fire though.

Sounds like classic dirty battery contact. Use a typewriter erasure pencil to clean the contact and cap, use a silver not alkaline button battery

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-08-2020, 03:49 AM   #29
Pentaxian

The ME Super is one of my favorite film cameras. Just so easy to take with you everywhere and extremely easy to operate. If mine failed I would definitely get it repaired.
11-08-2020, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
Sounds like classic dirty battery contact. Use a typewriter erasure pencil to clean the contact and cap, use a silver not alkaline button battery

Hang up and DRIVE!
I thought I did that but it was years ago, so might be worth repeating.